• Page:

TOPIC:

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 25 Apr 2015 08:09 #669497

• bpchura
  • bpchura's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
  • Thank you received: 0
Lost all electric the other day our of nowhere. I believe it all cut out when I stopped then hit the starter button. Now no lights or anything. Went through a bunch of switches to hopefully find a bad connection or something. Ended up replacing the starter solenoid because I thought that was the problem. Now when I turn the key, I have power but SUPER dim. Hard to tell the headlight is even on. When I hook up the battery charger, I get full power back. Charging the battery doesnt seem to help. Might be replacing the battery because I dont know what else to do.

Another thing is with the battery charger on the battery and the lights on full power, I go to start and I just get a click from the solenoid and back to weak lights. When I try to jump the solenoid, the lights dim and I get a weird electrical noise. Kind of like a hum.

Anyone got any ideas?
The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 25 Apr 2015 08:16 #669499

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Bad battery. Try charging it then let it sit. Check the voltage when charged, them after a few hours. Sounds like a dead or shorted cell.
Steve

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 25 Apr 2015 08:20 #669501

• bpchura
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
When sitting in the bike the battery is reading 13.5 volts (approx; analog MM) and no resistance. I guess I should go to the auto parts place and have them load test it?
The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 25 Apr 2015 09:10 #669506

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
That would be a good idea. Don't buy from them unless they have a 1 year warranty. I buy my batteries from High Tech Battery Solutions. Mine was 10 months old and died. They sent me a new one free. Good people.
Steve

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 25 Apr 2015 10:32 #669516

• bpchura
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
Well turns out it was the battery. Had it tested at the auto parts store and the whole cell was bad.

Guess it pays to check the battery ALWAYS when something electrical is awry. Just another weird way a battery can die. Just while riding it decides to quit. Weird

Thanks for the advice and luckily this was an easy fix!

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 25 Apr 2015 10:40 #669518

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
DO NOT TRY TO START THE BIKE WHILE IT IS HOOKED UP TO A BATTERY CHARGE OR ANOTHER VEHICLE THAT HAS THE ENGINE RUNNING!

That is a quick way to ruin the bike's electrical system. Unhook the bike's battery cables when you charge the battery so you are not tempted to turn the bike's ignition key. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 29 Apr 2015 17:55 #670036

• bpchura
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
Really? I knew about the running car thing but I've been running/cranking the bike off the charger for years. Doesnt it supply the same current as the battery?

Lost all electric. Now weak electric and no start 29 Apr 2015 18:07 #670038

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
No; a battery charger (depending on the charger) can supply much more ooomph than a motorcycle battery. Some are 200 amps or higher. :woohoo: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.
  • Page: