TOPIC:

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 10:46 #660130

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
One thing at a time. You'll get there.
Steve

This is what I started with three years ago.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 11:07 #660131

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Sweet !! What have you done to it, and what year is it ?? That has to be a rush riding on the long open roads !!

I picked my 78 up last summer. It had been left behind in a county tax auction. The guy I purchased it from had it setting in his barn for over 15 years. He did nothing with the bike, until he was getting ready to move. I got it on the cheap. I just got the bonded title for it last week. I'm getting geared up to tear into it this spring. I've got a lot of items gathered up for it already, and am trying to learn everything I can about it now, to be ready for the nice weather......
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 12:46 #660137

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1467

skooterbum4real wrote: The 78, the bike I'm restoring to ride able condition, has sat for over 15 years, and has 8,500 miles on it. Having sat for so long wouldn't have any effect on the charging system would it ??

At 8.500 miles that motor is barely broke in and the only issue with being sat so long is the possibility of corrosion on the electrical connectors depending on how well the bike was stored.
Obviously if it had been sat outside for 15 years it could be scrap but dry stored there shouldn't be an issue with most electrical components.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 14:02 #660145

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

skooterbum4real wrote: Sweet !! What have you done to it, and what year is it ?? That has to be a rush riding on the long open roads !!

I picked my 78 up last summer. It had been left behind in a county tax auction. The guy I purchased it from had it setting in his barn for over 15 years. He did nothing with the bike, until he was getting ready to move. I got it on the cheap. I just got the bonded title for it last week. I'm getting geared up to tear into it this spring. I've got a lot of items gathered up for it already, and am trying to learn everything I can about it now, to be ready for the nice weather......

It's a 75 Z1. It sat under a tree for 15 years. Everything was tired. I'm in the desert so rust wasn't too bad. I'd start it up once in a while but no money. I painted the tank and side covers, then the tail. Started on polishing everything and painted the frame, calipers etc. Finally I had some money to spend on it. The DMV got $517. They wanted $666, I told them Fk no. I won't jinx this thing before I get it back on the road. I paid the new reg two months later. I bought all the cam componets, chain, bearings and tore into it. One piston was shot. Cast so no replacement was available. Another $500. I bought wheel bearings front and back, new signals(duel element), new front fender ($250), new seat, new grab bar, used rear fender from the old kaw man $45, transmission (eBay), All and all about $2500. I'm sure it's a lot more by now.

Attachment Bossieandthegirls.jpg not found

New parts from Z1E and z1partsinc. Used from eBay. On going project. When she was down all those years, I'd hear and see bikes going down Dillon road. MAN I've got to get my bike back on the road. Single parent, NO WAY. Now I'm a grandpa. Kayla says Bossie's awesome. They live 1.5 hours away in the high desert. I get to ride there once or twice a month. One day maybe soon, I can just point my head light and go. North or south, it doesn't matter. BTW, when I'm riding along in 5th and a crotch rocket comes along, blips his throttle, I drop down into 2nd and grab a hand full and bang back up through the gears. Now you have to catch me. One guy caught up to me and just shook his head. Didn't expect it from an old bike. It's all good.
Steve

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 14:52 #660156

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
There is one thing overlooked by people when they get a bike that's been sitting for a long time. Valve guide seals. If you're fouling plugs and it smokes at start up, you need to replace them. I rode mine for a year and a half before I was ready to do it. Put in new valves and springs too. Always had a mysterious tick at start up and valve clatter. Now they sing like they did when new. Throttle is crisper and more ponies.

Attachment valveseals.jpg not found

Attachment bossievalvs.jpg not found

Attachment Kibblewhitevalvespringsonly.jpg not found

I'm not saying you need valves but springs get tired and can test good but can fool you. :) / :evil:
Steve

DOUBLE POST AGAIN. DAMN IT. :angry:

[Abracadabra!] :kiss:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 15:08 #660158

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Regarding the excellent advice already offered regarding compatibility of ignition coils and generator rotors --

The '82 coils likely have lower resistance than the '78 coils and should not be used with the '78 points ignition.

The generator rotors may have ever so slightly different tapers that might seem to fit, but won't sufficiently tighten onto the crankshaft.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 15:15 #660160

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I was afraid of that. The taper is different?
Steve

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 16:47 #660166

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 19:35 #660181

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Try to get her going after cleaning the carbs using the points first.
As mentioned above, one step at a time.

Yes, you can just swap on the Ignition bits, and forget about the charging system.
I have done what you are trying to do, and the links below show how to.
You will need the IC Igniter, the mechanical advancer, pick up plate, coils too if they are in good shape, and all related wiring.
Keep your stock wiring harness, just mount up the EI parts, only new wiring you'll need is power and ground wires for the IC Igniter.

These links have some info:
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/12453-tes...n-into-a-kz650#15558
forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=12.0
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 19:50 #660183

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Hey Steve, nice bike man !! Yea it seems like the repairs, upgrades, and general fussing over the bikes never ends !! It is an ongoing process.... BTW what kind of header, 4 x 1 exhaust do you have on your bike ?? Does that run under the center of your bike, or is it off to the side ??

Thanks for all your info concerning the work I'm wanting to do to my bike !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 20:08 #660185

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It's the V/H meant to keep the center stand and have access to the oil filter. I bought the pro street baffle and the full race one. Too loud and my top end fell off. The stock one sounded good but the pro street a lot better. With the 33mm Miks, 1X cams, Z2 750 crank(welded) and 1015 over bore, I have all the ponies I need. I ruined one Wiseco 10.25/1 piston, so I bought 1015 barrels and stock pistons used. My barrels were no good anymore. The head will come off one more time when I buy another piston. Soon I hope. That is unless some 1075 or larger set ups become available. Yeah I guess we're never done.
Steve

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 20:11 #660187

• skooterbum4real
  • User
zed1015, swest, Patton, rstnick, thanks for the great information each of you posted for me !! I appreciate every bit of it, and all of it will be beneficial to me. I can't thank you guys enough !!

It's going to be a couple more months before I actually get to tear into this thing. You're giving me the knowledge to tear into the project, with some confidence, and a good idea of what I need to be watching out for. If I find that I might need to do something with the charging system, I will for sure be using the few specialty measuring tools I have, and if I'm not able to measure accurately with my tools, there's a machine shop close by that will be able to help me out.

Again your help is appreciated. rstnick, I'm going to be printing off all the info from the posts you referred me to. I will have it all memorized before I get to working on the bike !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by skooterbum4real. Reason: more info