Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

seeking help for KZ650 no spark issue 16 Oct 2014 08:40 #650802

• dlhumphr
  • dlhumphr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here's what happened. My 1978KZ 650C was running somewhat crappy like an occasional misfire. I replaced the spark plugs and it ran better but still running with less than full power. I went to check the dwell but first I cleaned the points with a burnishing tool. I then lubed the felt lobe lubricator. Then, I realized that the ignition was on and subsequently turned it off. Tried to start the bike and she wouldn't fire. Pulled a plug and cranked it...no spark. I'm wondering if it was possibe that I damaged something from having the ignition on and shorting the points to clean them. I haven't checked the coils yet. The battery shows 12.4V. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. As a side note...I checked the rectifier/regulator and got no reading whatsoever as showing an open on my ohmmeter. Thanks in advance.
1978 KZ 650C with 20k miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

seeking help for KZ650 no spark issue 16 Oct 2014 10:56 #650808

• LineArtist
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Sounds like a fuse, disconnected ground or ignition/kill switch issues. take it one step at a time and go through the electrical systems based on the flow direction of charge from the battery.

#1 cause is the main ground not on the frame securely (it busted right off on my friend's hog).

The not running right (misfires) is often attributed to points - don't bother cleaning them, just buy a new kit from z1 with condensers for under $20. And make sure the timing is set correctly - Otherwise the engine will not run properly. Search the forum for veteran member 650ed's step by step on setting timing (make sure to disconnect the coils as noted).

"Hey Boss, the points, the points"
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

seeking help for KZ650 no spark issue 16 Oct 2014 12:40 #650815

• dlhumphr
  • dlhumphr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok thanks for the tip. I ordered a new set of points and condensers, coils and regulator/rectifier. My wife is rich $$$.
Once I replace everything I'll get back and post the results.
1978 KZ 650C with 20k miles

seeking help for KZ650 no spark issue 17 Oct 2014 14:28 #650954

• KzJim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
If she has $$, you should have gone with an electronic ignition and not back to points...
Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

• Page: