Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'78 kz650 no spark already replaced points/coils 11 Sep 2014 22:47 #647203

• Rot_Klinge
  • Rot_Klinge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got a 1978 kz650 thats still not getting spark after getting new points, condensors, coils, plugs, wires, and wire caps. The Run/Off knob on the handlebars is a little rigged on the inside but it did run before and i dont think anything in that has changed to make it stop running. I'm thinking its in the wiring but I'm not sure where to start. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
1978 Kz650 Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'78 kz650 no spark already replaced points/coils 12 Sep 2014 01:42 #647207

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Check for approximately 12 volts at the yellow/red wire at the coils, if you have good voltage there you should be good if everything is set up right,

make sure the points are set up right and open enough. And static timed properly. If you dont have voltage to the coils try running a jumper wire and see if you get spark then.
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rot_Klinge

'78 kz650 no spark already replaced points/coils 12 Sep 2014 06:35 #647231

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Make sure the points are not still grounded once open, also that the surfaces are clean dry and no oil between the two contacts. If you used a feeler gauge to gap them, drag a stiff piece of paper like a business card through them when closed to see if they are dirty. When closed they should provide a good clean ground for the coil, then once open No circuit to ground. If they still are grounded once open, check the insulating washers where the coil wire hooks to the terminal on your points.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rot_Klinge

• Page: