Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No power to starter motor 09 Sep 2014 14:14 #646899

• freakinbike
  • freakinbike's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Tyrell Corp wrote: What if you refit, then power up the starter,with jumpers from B- to motor earthpoint and B+ direct to starter terminal, other battery terminals disconnected -does it crank?

if yes and it cranks ok, but problem persists when battery terminals are re-connected then your fault lies somewhere within the wiring to it.

Re-chcek the starter fitted with the jump leads only: what could be drawing far too high a current when trying to turn the engine might seem to work fine on the bench with no load.

I did all this and got it to crank, using jumper cables, bypassing the starter solenoid. I have no idea what changed..

It sounded weak, but my battery is starting to drop voltage (down to 11.9volts now).

I guess next step is to replace all the wiring and solenoid between the battery and starter?
1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by freakinbike.

No power to starter motor 10 Sep 2014 21:55 #647107

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
I guess next step is to replace all the wiring and solenoid between the battery and starter?

No, charge battery fully or use a 12v car battery and check it is still cranking over well. Some of your symptoms could be a duff battery, even if it shows a decent open circuit voltage.

Then do that same test but with just one jumper connected at a time, you may be able to isolate it to just the live or earth side. (ie you are using what you know to be a decent jump lead instead of the main battery feed cables, replacing a part of the circuit at a time and narrowing down the fault further)

If you bridge the solenoid live teminals with a screwdriver it should crank even with the ignition off. Your problem probably lies within the three main battery cables; B- to engine and/or B+ to soleniod, solenoid to starter terminal.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: