Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Still not charging 19 Jul 2014 18:53 #640643

• fordtruck
  • fordtruck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I posted a while back about my charging issue on my 77 KZ1000. I'm still fighting it. Today I went through it again. I get 63 volts AC on all 3 windings of the stator. It ohms at 0.9. The only time I see it charge at the battery is with the lights off. It will show a little over 13 volts then. If I turn the lights on it drops to 12.8 volts at 4k rpms. I've cleaned all the connections in the headlight bucket, under the gas tank, and under the side cover. I'm using a solid state regulator/rectifier. I plugged the original regulator and rectifier in and got the same results.

I unplugged the white voltage output wire from the regulator and checked its voltage. It doesn't read anything on my meter most of the time. Every few seconds it will flash 19.8 volts. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end.
'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Still not charging 19 Jul 2014 18:55 #640644

• fordtruck
  • User
Oh and on a side note, while I was cleaning all the connections I removed the coil relay mod I'd installed a few years ago. After replacing one connection and cleaning a bunch of others, I now have full voltage to the coils without the relay!

Still not charging 19 Jul 2014 19:36 #640652

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Very interesting, makes me wonder if the relay was faulty, draining the power.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 05:38 #640676

• fordtruck
  • User

MFolks wrote: Very interesting, makes me wonder if the relay was faulty, draining the power.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that removing the relay fixed the problem. I was just happy that I finally repaired the factory wiring to the coils. The bike is still not charging.

I get around 63 volts AC coming out of the stator. What voltage should I see on the white wire coming from the regulator that connects to the positive battery cable? I unplugged it and it reads overload on my meter. Every few seconds it will give a reading of 19.8 volts for just a split second.

I think today I'm going to removed the panel under the side cover where all the plugs are. Maybe I have a short behind it. This is getting frustrating!

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 08:30 #640687

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Double check all the connections between your R/R and the bike. The Ground Wire from the R/R to the Battery -, and the R/R output wire to Batt +. Also each of the three Stator output wires to the R/R.
If you have the 60= volts on all three phases of the stator, and all the connections at the R/R check out, sounds like you could have a bad R/R, or the incorrect one. Is that R/R for the three phase permanent magnet system? Where did you get it, and what brand/ part # is it?
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 09:46 #640691

• fordtruck
  • User
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...f1000&item=PM81-4081

This is the regulator that I have. I bought this to replace the original rectifier and regulator because i suspected that the regulator was overcharging. I seemed to burn out a lot of bulbs right after running the bike hard. I've plugged the old ones back in and I get the same voltage readings as with the new combo unit. I know for a fact that with the old unit I used to measure over 14 volts at 4k rpm. It won't do that now. I seems unlikely that both units are bad now, but I guess it's possible.

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 11:55 #640700

• MFolks
  • User
Go to www.electrosport.com and find their troubleshooting page. It's helpful in finding out your problem.
1982 GPZ1100 B2

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 16:14 #640719

• fordtruck
  • User
MFolks, I used electrosports fault finder yesterday and all tests pass excepts voltage at battery. I did some more testing today. I was mistaken about not reading voltage on the white regulator output wire. My meter was set on the 20 V DC scale. Turns out voltage on the wire is between 20 and 22 volts with it unplugged from the positive battery cable. I sure seems like the charging system is putting out enough but something is really drawing a lot of power.

I disconnected the negative battery cable and hooked up my meter to measure current draw. Key on, engine off and lights off it draws 5.5 amps. Turn on the lights and it goes to a little over 9 amps. With the engine running and lights on is shows it's discharging unless the rpms are over 5k. Even then it's showing less than 1 amp.

I unplugged the positive wires to the coils and my current draw drops to 0.4 amps. So, the coils draw about 5 amps even with the motor off. Does this sound normal?

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 19:06 #640746

• MFolks
  • User
No, and did the ignition coils get hot? If so, they may be failing.
1982 GPZ1100 B2

Still not charging 20 Jul 2014 19:27 #640755

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

fordtruck wrote: MFolks, I used electrosports fault finder yesterday and all tests pass excepts voltage at battery. I did some more testing today. I was mistaken about not reading voltage on the white regulator output wire. My meter was set on the 20 V DC scale. Turns out voltage on the wire is between 20 and 22 volts with it unplugged from the positive battery cable. I sure seems like the charging system is putting out enough but something is really drawing a lot of power.

I disconnected the negative battery cable and hooked up my meter to measure current draw. Key on, engine off and lights off it draws 5.5 amps. Turn on the lights and it goes to a little over 9 amps. With the engine running and lights on is shows it's discharging unless the rpms are over 5k. Even then it's showing less than 1 amp.

I unplugged the positive wires to the coils and my current draw drops to 0.4 amps. So, the coils draw about 5 amps even with the motor off. Does this sound normal?

Which ignition? Kawasaki or Dyna S?
If you have the exact same measurements with both the old R/R and the New one, then it sounds like another problem. How are your magnets in your rotor? You had a voltage issue before, hence the coil mod. Very possible you still have a wiring issue. How are the wires from the stator to the R?r, and stiffness or sign of overheating?
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Last edit: by Motor Head.

Still not charging 21 Jul 2014 06:52 #640786

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Hey Ford...

One thing I'm not seeing here is mention of a Good/Ideal grounding to frame/engine....
Where it the R/R ground connected to... Battery of frame/engine...

The other being if using Dyna S coils, are the mounting supports insulated otherwise they can & will arc/short to frame ground....

Just some thoughts...

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Still not charging 21 Jul 2014 16:43 #640864

• fordtruck
  • User
To answer some questions: I'm running a Dyna S. I'm pretty sure the coils are not getting hot, but I will check for sure when work on it again. I've looked at the magnets on the rotor. No cracks and they all grab a wrench pretty strongly.

OMR, i just put brand new positive and negative battery cables on that I bought from Redline. I wire brushed the motor where the ground attaches to. I had the combo regulator/rectifier grounded to the same bolt on the engine that the ground cable bolts to. That is what the instructions said to do. The original regulator had a bullet connector that plugged into a ground under the left side cover.

Good call on the Dyna coil supports. The right side coil was rubbing on the stud and had almost worn through the electrical tape that was wrapped around it. I took off the support studs and tested again. Unfortunately that did nothing.