Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz650 charging issue, bad Stator? 30 May 2014 05:19 #634597

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If that's a 30 year old reg/rec, there's a chance it won't work properly. It may initially work, but as it warms up, the output voltage may drop. But the good news is, since you've converted to 3-phase, you can use a reg/rec from a modern Ninja 250 or 500. They are plentiful, and cheap on ebay. You just have to splice a connector.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz650 charging issue, bad Stator? 31 May 2014 12:15 #634787

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
I tried it out yesterday and the voltages were better. I have 12.5V at idle and just under 14V at 4,000rpm. So its an improvement and will probably be enough to get by. It looks like there are tons of options for new R/R units so I will probably get something modern, should be more reliable if not more efficient than the old thyristor type.

The parts from the 81-83 650's are an easy swap. It would be possible to "downgrade" to the excited field type, but that would be more work.

One last question, when I built this bike I bought a new sealed beam headlight, but I can't remember what the wattage was. Is it possible my headlight is the wrong type and drawing too much? Or are all the sealed beams the same? The other thing I changed was the blinkers. I used the larger rectangular ones from a kz1000. But that can't be much a difference, only the front two are on all the time.

Attachment Engine023.jpg not found

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

kz650 charging issue, bad Stator? 31 May 2014 12:19 #634788

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
The front turn signal lights have two filaments and serve as running lights and turn signals. The rear are turn signals only. I doubt that the wattage of any sealed beam headlight is much more than the stock light. I have a Wagner halogen sealed beam and it draws only slightly more current than the stock unit. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)