Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 14 Apr 2014 19:26 #629049

• daremoe63
  • daremoe63's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1980 KZ550 C1 that is getting no spark on cylinders !+4 - I have switched coils with a known good one,swapped neg (yellow/red) primary wires fired one 2+3 cylinders.Connected the primary coil wire (black) for cylinder 1+4.All wires have continuity and P/U coils measure good - so can one side of the CDI go bad or is it possible for the P/U coils measure good and still be bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 14 Apr 2014 21:07 #629063

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
In the sparkplugs caps(they cover the sparkplugs), there's a 5000 ohm resistor, that can go bad from heat, vibration, and just age. I'd get a new set(4), and new sparkplugs, and go from there. The sparkplug caps unscrew from the sparkplug wires, before installing new ones, cut about 3/16"-1/4" off the end, for better connection.

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the ignition coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com
I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1. Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2. Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike). These should be checked with a multimeter now and then, as heat can cause them to become intermittent.

3. Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4. Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be possibly three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 14 Apr 2014 21:10 #629065

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I wrote this for the bigger 4's, but the checkout should be the same:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6.Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

And no, these have a IC Igniter, that actually give the ignition coils their grounds, firing the sparkplugs.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 14 Apr 2014 21:12 #629066

• daremoe63
  • User
I swapped primary + wire with cylinder and got spark so that eliminates coil,wires and caps being bad - this is done will the bike is cold - I did have a bad kill switch connection - checked all connections so everything leans toward CDI or P/U coils,more towards CDI trying to find out if he cdi has ever done this to somebody else. - The big Kaw 4's are pretty much the same as the smaller ones - big difference is the coils are reversed 1+4 is on the right side and 2+3 is on the left side of below 750s (I believe that's the cut off point)

Last edit: by daremoe63.

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 14 Apr 2014 21:27 #629067

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, would verify continuity of both wires from the 9 o'clock pick-up coil through the connector, and assure that the black wire from the IC Igniter becomes un-grounded through the pick-up as the pointer passes the pick-up.

It's the un-grounding of the ignition coil through the black wire that causes the ignition coil to fire through the secondary loop.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 14 Apr 2014 21:52 #629068

• daremoe63
  • User
Just fixed it - I swapped p/u coils with my KZ1000 and now I have nice spark on all 4 cylinders - thanks for the responses always love learning and these old are sure are teaching me whether I want to learn or not :P

1980 KZ550 no spark on 1+4 plugs 15 Apr 2014 09:35 #629115

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

daremoe63 wrote: ... is it possible for the P/U coils measure good and still be bad?

Yes if the magnets are installed wrong, or with the wrong hardware (steel screws versus brass).
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio.../PickupAndRotor.html

And, obviously, they can get intermittent from heat, vibration, etc.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: