• Page:

TOPIC:

Speedo Issue 14 Apr 2014 11:46 #629001

• jgraham232
  • jgraham232's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Everyone,

I am new to these forums so first off Hello to all :)

I bought my first bike last week, a 83' KZ550 A1.

It has some minor issue with the carbs I am working on but have gotten it to a ridable point.

I now have an issue that has popped up that is keeping me from passing inspection.
My speedometer gauge to the left of my RPM gauge has stopped funtioning. All the electrical functions work such as High Beam Light and all the other lights on the gauge, but the Odometer has topped working, the trip counter has stopped working and the speedometer doesnt work. The RPM gauge is fine though so i am just using that for now.

Any thoughts as to what could cause this? Is there a certain cable i need to buy, or a new cluster of gauges?

Sorry if this question seems simple, I am brand new to Motorcycles and am already spending a bunch on the carb work.
Strap up, Sit down, Ride Smooth.....

1983 kawasaki kz550 spectre shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Speedo Issue 14 Apr 2014 11:56 #629002

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Most bikes of this year, have cable operated speedometers. I'd disconnect the cable from the front wheel gearbox, and the instrument. The inner cable should pull out of the outer cable. Look for broken cable strands. A new complete cable should be available at www.z1enterprises.com if necessary.

If you're going to use it again, wipe it down with a rag soaked in pain thinner & re-grease with some high temp bearing grease, and re-assemble it, making sure the ends fit the instrument & front wheel gearbox.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Speedo Issue 14 Apr 2014 12:03 #629003

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Welcome aboard.
First, let's figure out what model motorcycle you actually own. There is no such thing as a 1983 KZ550-A1. Below is a list of your choices.

Regarding the speedometer - I suggest you take a moment to look at it. There should be a cable that runs from the bottom of the speedometer to a device on the left side of the front axle. That cable is what drives the speedometer - it in not electric other than a couple little light bulbs in it for night viewing. See if that cable is connected at both ends. If it is not, connect it. If it is it may be broken in which case you will need to replace it. You only need a cable and a pair of pliers to replace it, but you should lubricate it (new or old) with motor oil so it runs smoothly. The same is true of the tachometer cable. Ed

Attachment 00011_2014-04-14.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Speedo Issue 15 Apr 2014 07:46 #629095

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Make sure the cable is properly seated into the speedometer & into the speedo drive gearbox assy at the wheel. The ends are squarish. I usually fit the cable into the speedometer first (you may have to rotate the inner cable to line it up), hold it in place, then fit the other end into the speedo drive at the wheel (you may have to spin the wheel a little). Or do the wheel end first.... whatever seems easiest.

If the cable is broken (not uncommon as it is old), Z1Enterprises.com should have MotionPro cables listed for your bike. If you want oem, the Kaw dealer should be able to get the speedo cable, since it is an Active part. Or you could contact Z1Ent, since they sell Kawasaki parts (they may not list it but Z1 should be able to get any Active part). You might want to replace the tachometer cable at the same time.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Speedo Issue 25 Apr 2014 07:45 #630343

• jgraham232
  • jgraham232's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you all for the replies. The cable was damaged so I have another on the way. I really appreciate all of your help. Much love.

Also yeah its the A4 I didn't know they went up just thought it was a diff year still A1.
Strap up, Sit down, Ride Smooth.....

1983 kawasaki kz550 spectre shaft

• Page: