Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rookie mistake - Need some help 21 Oct 2014 21:04 #651379

• Old Rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
You just have to love the folks at most parts stores they kept trying to tell me The battery they had was the right one, after looking at it for several minutes I NOTICED the posted were reversed. Then it was OH maybe its not the same.... I did get the right one. if I'm not mistaken i think that has some silver zeiner diodes as well I need to look at mine to be sure. I'll check tomorrow for ya.
I wouldnt call it a Rookie mistake, as Im sure they told you that was the right battery. Its all about trust, you just cant trust the parts guys these days most are just not that knowledgeable these days as they get that from years of working parts.
Old Dogs never Die.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rookie mistake - Need some help 21 Oct 2014 21:08 #651380

• Old Rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
This is all I found and yes has diodes.
Old Dogs never Die.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcampbell1221

Rookie mistake - Need some help 21 Oct 2014 21:31 #651382

• jcampbell1221
  • jcampbell1221's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Old Rider: That's EXACTLY what happened to me... I looked up what I needed, wrote it down, and brought it into the parts store... the guy came out with a battery and said that it was the one I needed.... Well, lesson learned and I'm grateful that nothing too serious happened. And thank you for that diagram. That's super helpful. I'm 100% new to all of this so I'm learning as I go. I do have a Clymer manual for the bike, but the electrical section seemed a bit sparse... From everyone's help on here and from what I can tell from the manual, I feel like I'm on the right track
77 KZ 1000 A1

Last edit: by jcampbell1221.

Rookie mistake - Need some help 21 Oct 2014 21:51 #651383

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
That Clymer manual isn't going to give you all the info you really need.....especially on the electrical stuff. As Ed suggested do try to get a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual....much better...another thing to do is to add your bike to your profile so you don't have to keep reminding people what bike you do have..... go to your profile page, hit the edit button (top right) hit the profile information tab....go right to the bottom of the page and insert your bike type and year
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

Rookie mistake - Need some help 22 Oct 2014 08:13 #651406

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, be sure the bike's battery cables haven't been repositioned in order to accommodate a battery with reversed posts.

I once purchased a GB500 battery from AutoZone (they looked it up) and when first trying to install it noticed that the posts were reversed.
Upon further inspection and consternation, the cables were found to have been repositioned by a previous whomever in order to allow a makeshift fitment. :ohmy:
Returning the cable wires to their stock routing resolved the problem and exonerated the AutoZone guy. :cheer:

This isn't a problem on bikes such as KZ900 where the stock wiring of positive battery cable is too short to reach the other post. Idiot proof -- just like I like it. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Rookie mistake - Need some help 22 Oct 2014 08:16 #651407

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Rookie mistake - Need some help 22 Oct 2014 10:07 #651411

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I almost did the same thing except didnt have a good ground and It was the easiest thing I did all day. The hard part of fixing a complete wiring system was deciding to let the moths out of my wallet
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Rookie mistake - Need some help 23 Oct 2014 13:36 #651540

• jcampbell1221
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI fixed up my signature. I'm pretty sure that's the right model from what I can tell at least. Here's a photo of my bike:

Attachment 1175671_3390441057777_114531500_n.jpg not found

I think at this point I would really like to replace my Clymer manual with an actual Kawasaki manual so moving forward I have the best info.... I've been looking everywhere for the right manual, and I think I finally found one for my bike but I'm not sure. Can you guys take a look? Sorry to ask, but so far I've seen about 50 different KZ1000 books out there for different years and models, but I think this is the right one.

77 KZ 1000 A1
Attachments:

Rookie mistake - Need some help 23 Oct 2014 14:08 #651546

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

jcampbell1221 wrote: I fixed up my signature. I'm pretty sure that's the right model from what I can tell at least. Here's a photo of my bike:

Attachment 1175671_3390441057777_114531500_n.jpg not found

I think at this point I would really like to replace my Clymer manual with an actual Kawasaki manual so moving forward I have the best info.... I've been looking everywhere for the right manual, and I think I finally found one for my bike but I'm not sure. Can you guys take a look? Sorry to ask, but so far I've seen about 50 different KZ1000 books out there for different years and models, but I think this is the right one.

Am pretty sure that's the correct Factory Service Manual (FSM).

May confirm frame and engine numbers on the bike at hand by going to www.zedder.com and to Bike Info, then navigate to the section on K1000's.

For example, here's an excerpt of the info per Zedder about the 1977 KZ1000-B1 LTD.

Year & Model '77 KZ1000-B1:LTD
Frame No. Range KZTOOB-500001 - 507530
Engine No. Range KZTOOAE000101 - 044022

www.zedder.com/Info/77%20KZ1000-B1%20LTD.htm

This may also be used to help determine whether the engine may have been replaced with one from a different model.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcampbell1221

Last edit: by Patton.

Rookie mistake - Need some help 23 Oct 2014 17:06 #651559

• jcampbell1221
  • User
Ah perfect! So it is an A1. (USA manufactured - not Japan) with the original engine. it looks like that's the right service manual too so I'm going to pick that up.

On the subject of replacing the rectifier.... I'll have to look in the FSM but i doubt they have info on rectifier/regulator combo units like they're selling now. I'd like to test the regulator and see if it's also bad, but even if it's still working right, should I just get a combo unit and replace both of them in one go? Also, from what I can tell the new combo unit goes in the same place as the old rectifier... So would I take off the old regulator since there's one already built into the combo unit?
77 KZ 1000 A1

Last edit: by jcampbell1221.
  • Page: