Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turn signals light up but don't blink 02 Apr 2013 07:47 #580135

• Randew2u
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im in a similar pickle with my 82 KZ1100 D1 My left front signal stayed on and turn signal switch was triggering my hazards. the red toggle button does nothing. I took the unit apart last night and cleaned the contacts, put a few drops of oil in it and now it is really sticky, i tried triflow, then 3 in one oil, still sticky. I think its the nylon-on-nylon or nylon-on-brass that is catching. I will post pictures tonight. Anyone know if i should leave it clean and dry, or what to put in there to get it to slide smooth. What should i use to clean it, i used alcohol?

I wonder if we are having trouble with the turn signal control unit, anyone hear of them going bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turn signals light up but don't blink 03 Apr 2013 16:49 #580402

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
OK, I'm going over all the connections on my turn signals and have replaced the bulbs.
the flashing seems to have perked up a bit but I still have more connections to do.

I bought one of those cool looking Tridon 552 upgraded relays and the instructions say hook the positive wire to the "X" post and the Lamp wire to the "L" post.

One wire is orange and the other is orange and green both go to connectors then switches.

I guess that I should get my meter and see which one has juice right ? :huh:

Electricity is definitely one of my bigger weak points :blush:
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Turn signals light up but don't blink 03 Apr 2013 17:06 #580403

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
The orange and green makes the needle jump, so I'm thinkin that's the pos.

The emergency lights are faster than the turn signals :huh:
78 KZ1000 A2A

Turn signals light up but don't blink 03 Apr 2013 17:48 #580407

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
Hooked up the new relay and the turn signals are back up to speed B) Miller time :woohoo:

The horn still doesn't work but I'm getting power to it so the horn is the problem, no biggie I hate those things any way :P
78 KZ1000 A2A

Turn signals light up but don't blink 03 Apr 2013 18:21 #580409

• gengomerpyle
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
ED, i just put rear flashers on my bike. they didnt flash but the hazards did. i swapped the relays around and now they all work. i noticed that each flasher has a different part number. the hazard are 223 and the blinkers are 532 both wagner brand. will they all work with 532 if i went out and bought 2 of the same flashers? also are the flashers suppose to beep when activated? because mine dont.

650ed wrote: I wouldn't go through the effort. Assuming your flasher is a 2-prong like mine I would just replace the flasher with a Tridon/Stant 552 2 prong unit. Auto parts stores carry them and they don't cost very much. The old flashers will blink slow or just keep the light on solid if the battery is not charged up hot. The Tridon unit is electronic so the it flashes at a constant rate regardless of the battery charge (except of course if the battery is totally dead). Ed

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

Turn signals light up but don't blink 03 Apr 2013 22:59 #580469

• Randew2u
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I used a bit of Moly paste and the turn signal switch now works satisfactorily. My hazards dont work though. I have a Wagner 223 for the hazards and a Tridon 552 for the turn signals. I found that the prev owner used the wrong bulb in one of my front indicators.

Turn signals light up but don't blink 05 Apr 2013 23:46 #580788

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
Follow up;
The problem ended up being the turn signal control in the left control pod.
I had problems at the beginning of last year with it being real stiff and I used WD-40 to it loosened up and get it working but over time resistance started building up. :blush:

This time I really flushed it out good with the Deoxit and the signals are working now as they should.

So far :dry:
78 KZ1000 A2A

• Page: