Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 20 Apr 2012 15:21 #516921

• eugrub
  • eugrub's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

I bought 1982 Kawasaki KZ750 M1 CSR Twins 3 weeks ago. It was running good until I removed wiring because last owner cut some wires and removed them. I wanted to make it look clean but somehow I screwed it up. I couldnt get it running at all. I decided to buy everything wiring harness from Ebay that came off same bike same year. I put it back together but some harness are not there since last owner removed it. I tried my best to follow harness and wiring diagram. When I turn key on, the headlight will come on but very weak. It was bad battery. I bought new one and put it on. Light comes on really bright then I try to kickstart and fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and tried to kickstart again but fuse blew again. Something is wrong. Fuse in small black box it says Main. Im not sure what main is. Please help me. I really want to get this running again and ride it.

Can I remove the engine kill switch? What wires do I need to cut?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 20 Apr 2012 15:54 #516930

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
You have a dead short some where, the main is your main fuse circuit. You need a wiring diagram and start tracing wires in question (main circuit) You will open a big can of worms if you start hacking wires (kill switch for example is a safety device). You need a test light and meter to diagnose.

Look for a pinched wire that the kicker might be rubbing on when it is being kicked or and loose grounds frayed wires etc.
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 20 Apr 2012 23:32 #517015

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

eugrub wrote: Hello all,

I bought 1982 Kawasaki KZ750 M1 CSR Twins 3 weeks ago. It was running good until I removed wiring because last owner cut some wires and removed them. I wanted to make it look clean but somehow I screwed it up. I couldnt get it running at all. I decided to buy everything wiring harness from Ebay that came off same bike same year. I put it back together but some harness are not there since last owner removed it. I tried my best to follow harness and wiring diagram. When I turn key on, the headlight will come on but very weak. It was bad battery. I bought new one and put it on. Light comes on really bright then I try to kickstart and fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and tried to kickstart again but fuse blew again. Something is wrong. Fuse in small black box it says Main. Im not sure what main is. Please help me. I really want to get this running again and ride it.

Can I remove the engine kill switch? What wires do I need to cut?

Hello, eugrub, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Click this link for a wiring diagram download from KZr's FILEBASE.

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/36...z750m1wiringdiag0002

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 21 Apr 2012 04:03 #517052

• jenkrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Check wiring to the coils - If I understand this correctly the fuse is only blowing when the engine is turning (via kicker) and producing power? Are you getting spark? Does the electric start not work?

I would strongly advise against cutting any wires - you need to track down where the short circuit is. Look for a short in the main circuit, possibly even in the kill switch/starter switch area. Previous owner could have accidentally pinched a live wire in the switch assy. against the handlebar, causing a massive short - I have had this happen before - took me awhile to track it down.

Be looking for things like this. I just solved a shorting issue with my coils - see post "1976 Kz900 A4 blowing main fuse" for some good advise from other members of the board. Unfortunately our wiring will definitely be different.

Good luck
76' KZ900
00' KLR650
82' XV920 Virago
74' Ironhead Sportster

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 21 Apr 2012 10:07 #517069

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Maybe its on your Charging system. The Charging system only creates voltage when the engine is turned. So maybe you have a pinched wire under your sprocket cover? Just a thought.
Also the Pick up coils for the electronic ignition would create a small voltage signal when the engine rotates, for the ignitor to make spark. So check the wiring from the Ignition pick up coils to the ignitor a swell.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 26 Apr 2012 05:09 #518152

• eugrub
  • User
Hi all, fuse was blowing up every time I turn on and have killer switch at RUN position. I found out I plugged one wrong wire to Negative. I removed it and fuse doesnt blow anymore. I tried to start it but I get no sparks. I took the coil out and brought it to dealership to test it to see if it is good and it is no good. I bought OEM coil from Ebay for $80 (rip off, I know). I put it on today and still get no spark. I also replaced regulator. Maybe stator is bad? I hope not! This is really frustrating. I wish I never removed wires and leave it like that.

Also, theres two wires (yellow with red and yellow with blue) which one of them goes to + and - on coil?

I can take pictures if that helps

Last edit: by eugrub.

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 26 Apr 2012 08:43 #518156

• Kz twin
  • User
Take a look at your points... Take the cover off the right and try starting it if u don't have spark their ur points are bad I went to the dealer to get mine that was the cheapest place eBay wanted double the price they should be around 13-14 bucks

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 26 Apr 2012 09:32 #518164

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

eugrub wrote: Hi all, fuse was blowing up every time I turn on and have killer switch at RUN position. I found out I plugged one wrong wire to Negative. I removed it and fuse doesnt blow anymore. I tried to start it but I get no sparks. I took the coil out and brought it to dealership to test it to see if it is good and it is no good. I bought OEM coil from Ebay for $80 (rip off, I know). I put it on today and still get no spark. I also replaced regulator. Maybe stator is bad? I hope not! This is really frustrating. I wish I never removed wires and leave it like that.

Also, theres two wires (yellow with red and yellow with blue) which one of them goes to + and - on coil?

I can take pictures if that helps

Coil's primary terminals are non-polar.

Presupposing that the correct two wires are being attached to the coil primary terminals, it doesn't matter which wire is connected to which terminal.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 26 Apr 2012 13:44 #518206

• eugrub
  • User
Thanks Patton. What do you mean by points? You mean spark plug point? I bought two new spark plugs and still getting no spark

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 27 Apr 2012 02:27 #518346

• munkybrain2010
  • User
  • Clueless..
Get a manual and a multi meter from walmart man itll be the best collective $40 youve ever spent, maybe better than that OEM coil you bought. Z1 sells coils fairly cheap.

Doesnt the 82 have pick up coils guys?

Also how are you checking for spark?

Did you reground your battery to the frame after you took your whole wiring harness out? I pulled this and it stumped me for a week, I felt like and idiot for sure :P
Keep it together man!

79 KZ650 "Geto Cycle"

Last edit: by munkybrain2010.

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 27 Apr 2012 04:11 #518351

• DiamondSkyBlue1000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 40
Congrats on the bike but it's no fun if you can't ride it. :silly:
Was this bike running when you got it?
As munkybrain asked: how do you know it's not getting spark?
Do you have a starter on the bike? If you aren't getting fuel or something is outta whack in the fuel or spark areas you are going to have a hell of a time starting that bike by just kicking it.
Anyhoo... You have a couple of options to check for spark here:

Pull one of the spark plugs and then put it back into the socket on the end of the spark plug wire and then rest the end that normally goes inside the engine against the engine case. I wouldn't recommend holding it there with your hand, just let it rest there by gravity. Now try to start the motor. If the plug is touching the engine casing sufficiently (grounded) you will see a spark. If you do see spark then you can re-install it in the engine and move on to the next possible cause.
The other option is to grab a can of starting fluid and spray it into the airbox or filter whichever you have and then try to start the bike. If it fires up even momentarily then you got spark but most likely you also have fuel or fuel/air issues.
But, first things first. Check for spark and let us know!

fuse keeps blowing everytime I kickstart - HELPpls 27 Apr 2012 04:29 #518352

• saxonpirate
  • User
  • 1983 KZ1100 LTD
  • Thank you received: 1
If you haven't got one I'd definitely get a service manual and a multi-meter as Munky suggests. Some meters have a continuity tester that buzzes or bleeps to show a circuit/wire is continuous and ok.

At the moment you are just stabbing in the dark and need to isolate the problem, you'll end up replacing the whole bike otherwise. Do all the other functions of your bikes electrics work as they should...lights, flashers, horn. If they do you can at least discount a problem there.

Try and get hold of a wiring diagram for your ignition circuit. If there's one online zoom in and take some screen shots of it and methodically go through all your connections on the bike. Check your colour coding of the wiring...

You say you bought a harness off Ebay...just maybe there's a break in that harness somewhere. It's gonna be an old harness, not new, so its a definite possibility. Don't discount it, check the continuity of that wiring and then the connections.
1983 KZ1100 LTD..

Ride like your life depended on it :-)