Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 25 Dec 2011 22:26 #494668

• Flyndrive
  • Flyndrive's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
So is the dyna s pulling so much power that my voltage won't go up to 14v or so. I am sure it use to go higher. The only thing I have changed lately is getting the running lights working again. I still think the stator may not be working to its full potential!!

If I were to change to a 3 phase would the magnetic rotor have to be swapped also?
Along with the reg/rec and an extra yellow wire.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 26 Dec 2011 12:53 #494717

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Running lights, by themselves don't make a large difference. But connecting them may just be enough to prevent the voltage from going higher.

There is also a possibility that the stator only puts out voltage when there is no load (which is how you tested it). Once it's under load, if there is a bad spot in the windings, there may be very little output from the stator.

You can try to do a load test on the stator, but it takes some work and most people don't usually want to do it.

You can try a 3-phase stator. Electromagnetically speaking, the rotor will work, but it's a matter of matching up the physical size of the stator so there is no interference damage. That's why I offered to measure my 3-phase stators earlier, to see if they match your 1-phase stator dimensions. As yet, I don't know of any confirmation that it's doable, so you would be breaking new ground.

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 28 Dec 2011 19:47 #495015

• Flyndrive
  • User
Dimensions of the 1 phase stator are:
OD 103mm
ID 38mm
Hole spacing about 41mm/ 3 holes

How does that compare to the 3 phase?
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 30 Dec 2011 16:11 #495313

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Here's what I got for the 3-phase kz550 stator.

Mating surface is where stator hub mounts to cover.

Hub ID 37.4mm on non-mating surface.
Hub ID 38.0mm on mating surface.
Mating surface depth 7.4mm.

Overall OD 103mm.

Thickness at Hub 14.2mm to 14.4mm.
Thickness at OD edge 23mm.
thickness at windings ~25mm.

3 Mounting holes ID 6.6mm.
3 Mounting holes spacing 41.6mm.

So it looks like a 3-phase stator should just bolt in. Then you need the 3-phase reg/rec. as well.

We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that it is not the flywheel magnets that are weak. Just to be sure... the flywheel doesn't wobble or have any scrape marks on it, does it? I have a few that wobble from crashes. I assume that will make for a weaker output.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 30 Dec 2011 18:23 #495334

• Flyndrive
  • User
The flywheel looks good and no wobble. I think the magnets are strong they usually pull the stator and cap right into place.

Thanks for the measurement. Now I'll just have to look fOr the regulator and stator.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 30 Dec 2011 18:42 #495338

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
You can also get aftermarket stators which are sometimes asvertised as "heavy duty", meaning more output. The one from "Rick's" gets good reviews. It's about $120 - $130 at Old Bike Barn and Dennis Kirk.

Also, in case you haven't seen one, you can spot the 3-phase stators easily because they will have 3 wires and 18 "spokes", whereas your 1-phase has 12 spokes.

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 04 Jan 2012 19:34 #496330

• Flyndrive
  • User
Found a 3 phase stator, flywheel, and reg/rec on eBay from a 83 KZ550. Hopefully that will solve my problems. Just have to wait for them to get here.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 04 Jan 2012 19:43 #496333

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
You might want to do this:

Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

Get some of the De-Oxit electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website. Or use any plastic safe electrical contact cleaner(NOT WD-40 !).

On the older Kawasaki's, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach. Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal responce and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start.

Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting). I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

All battery cables must be clean and tight for maximum current transfer. Check the cables going from the Negative(-) battery terminal/post to the engine mounting bolt

Also the one going from the Positive(+) terminal to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor.

If any battery cable feels ”Crunchy” when flexed, replace it as possible corrosion is inside the insulation.

Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

Some people put the Di-Electric Grease on cleaned terminations/connectors, I don’t, as I’ve read/heard it can cause problems when it gets hot, actually insulating the connections, so the choice is yours to use or not.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

Why WD-40 Should Not Be Used On Motorcycle Electrical Items.

For many years, I was proponent of the use of WD-40 on fuse clips, fuses, switches and connectors. After hearing of other peoples experience with intermittent and sporadic activity, I shrugged it off as maybe they did something wrong in the application of the product.

It wasn’t until the time I rode my 1982 GPz1100 B2 model to downtown San Diego that I encountered the problems others had gone through.

After concluding my business downtown, I walked to where my bike was parked, turned the key to unlock the forks, and prepared to start the engine. The key was in the "On" position, yet I had no lights in the dash panel, the fuel pump was not running(I have FI), and the horn and tail light were not working.

Puzzled as to why nothing electrical was happening, I remember my earlier conversations about how WD-40 will over time become a non-conductor(more like an insulator). I had some pieces of 400 and 600 grit sandpaper in my tool kit and with them was able to scratch away the coating from the WD-40 on the fuses and clips.

After removing the insulating film, the bike started and ran like it should. Since that time, I’ve told people about the problem with WD-40. If you must use a contact cleaner, I recommend getting some "De-oxit" from Radio Shack Stores or any good electronic supply store.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 07 Jan 2012 15:16 #496919

• Flyndrive
  • User
I got my new (used) 3 phase stator in last night, so I spent the morning installing it. Swapped out the Reg/Rec, figured out the new wires and where they came from or went to. Had a couple extra wires for things like the kickstand switch, so I removed them and retaped the wires that were left. Figuring out the wires really wasn't hard, just match up the colors, some of the connectors had to be changed out, but no problem.

Got it all back together, started the bike. Hooked up the voltmeter while it was warming up. The voltage at idle was right at 12v. Brought the RPMs up to 2k and the voltage came right up over 13v. With the RPMs at 4k the voltage came up to 14.5v or so and stayed. Looks like it fixed the problem of not charging very well.

Thanks everyone for your help.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 07 Jan 2012 20:21 #496955

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Good to hear that it bolted right in.
Thanks for the update and confirmation... will have to make a note of it for the future.

Keep an eye on it, though. One of the failure modes of the reg/rec is that it will seem to work at first, but on a sustained highway run at higher RPMs, it will slowly drop voltage. After an hour or so the battery is pretty drained. I only mention it because I assume you bought a used reg/rec.

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 08 Jan 2012 00:16 #497005

• Flyndrive
  • User
Yes it was used. It was off an 83 KZ550. I think an H1 model. All he parts were very clean. Also replaced the starter solenoid just cause I got a package deal. It came with the flywheel, but it was the same so I just used mine.

I was thinking of trying to put a voltmeter gauge on the bike but I dont know where I would mount it.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

2 wire stator vs 3 wire 02 May 2016 21:00 #724202

• Derekforeal
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So my stator just went on my 1980 kz550.
Ordered a new one and it came a 3 wire.. i guess the 2 wire are old news! My question is do you have to replace the reg/ rectifier. Or is it possible to just use 2 of the 3 wires on the new stator?