Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Keihin CV34 valve seat 24 Mar 2017 11:07 #757562

• Setton
  • Setton's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI know some carburetor models have replaceable intake valve seats. Do Keihin CV34 carbs have them? Before trying to clean it, I'd like to try to source a replacement just in case.

In case I'm not using the correct terms (I'm self taught and mostly know what I'm doing, but I don't know all the correct terms), what I'm talking about is what the needle on the float pushes up into to stop the fuel from flowing into the bowl when it reaches a certain level.

The person who sold me the bike said that I don't need to clean it, I can just replace it with this:

and I'm not entirely sure that's the case... It says it only fits late 1970s to 1980 KZ900 and KZ1000. I don't know what kind of carbs those bikes used, but the float needle does not look the same, as the ones I've always seen for Keihin CV34 have black rubber cone tips, not metal cone tips. I'm also not seeing the little wire bracket that holds it on to the flange that comes off the float. Of course it's conceivable that the needle might be different but the seat is the same...

So in the interest of just being sure... does the Keihin CV34 carb even HAVE a removable seat, and if so, will this fit?

I'm going to be pulling the carbs off tomorrow to try to clean it in an attempt to stop the last of several fuel leaks (I've fixed all the others so far), but I'd like to source a replacement in case something goes wrong.
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keihin CV34 valve seat 24 Mar 2017 11:35 #757564

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
The seat is not replaceable. It's pressed into the carb body. Good news is that there is rarely need to replace the seat. The needle has a rubber tip so there is very little wear that can occur on the seat. The needles on the other hand are prone to wear/damage. I won't speculate on whether yours need to be replaced though.

One thing you can do to the seat is clean it. I use a piece of gray scotchbrite. A piece that's sort of worn down already works well because the grit is diminished some. I cut a strip and then roll it up into a tube so to speak and shove it into the hole in the float needle. Then twist and press until it reaches all the way to the bottom, where the needle touches. Spin it around a few times and pull it out and look to see if the metal is bright and shinny on the bottom. If it is clean out the grit and call it down, or go back for round two.

When sourcing new needles you need to understand that most aftermarket brands, such as K&L, are inferior to the original Keihin parts. You can purchase the real Keihin needles from Jets R Us though...www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/018_880_su.html

Instead of just going into the carbs and replacing selective parts you would be much better off to fully tear down the carbs, soak all the hard parts in carb dip, replace all the various soft O-rings, and then reassembly the carbs. Do this and you will only be into the carbs ONE TIME. Take short cuts and all bets are off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by Nessism.

Keihin CV34 valve seat 27 Mar 2017 04:17 #757791

• Setton
  • Setton's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Well, the bowl (and seat) looks like this...

i.imgur.com/4TzhtUs.png

The whole rest of everything regarding the carbs is just as pristine and brand new. I polished the seat anyway, but... I don't know anymore... I'm having this damn fuel leak out of carb 3 and I can't track it down... I did notice something yesterday... I had the carbs off because I thought my polishing the seat made it so the bike wasn't running (I got that fixed, had to reroute the fuel line), and I noticed something...

i.imgur.com/ds2sqky.png

No cap on the vacuum connection for no3, which is the same carb that's leaking... Is this just a coincidence?
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.

Keihin CV34 valve seat 27 Mar 2017 05:30 #757799

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
The vacuum port has nothing to do with the carb leaking.

Two things: do the clear tube test to check sealing of the float system and adjust fuel height as needed, and if your float bowls have an overflow tube inside make sure the tube is not cracked. If it is, you can use plumbing solder to fix it.

• Page: