Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

80 kz550ltd idling question 17 Mar 2017 15:58 #756945

• cbrianroll
  • cbrianroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Okey dokey, rebuilt carbs, rejetted accordingly from loudhvx site, have pods and stock exhaust. At the moment it idles fine with choke on, revs up alot when choke off. It'll be a few days before I get to dig into so I thought I'd see what you smart guys think. I've never had this problem before. Thanks
1980 kz550ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

80 kz550ltd idling question 18 Mar 2017 09:29 #756982

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I don't really have specific jetting advice on my site. Do you have a thread going already?

Have you tried turning down the idle speed

Have all other engine and electrical issues been checked?

80 kz550ltd idling question 18 Mar 2017 19:04 #757065

• cbrianroll
  • User
Sorry for not being so clear, I meant your drill sizes to jet size chart. Carb is attached with no throttle cables installed, idle screw completely slack. As far as everything else being good.....new coils, wires, dyna system. I'm still a newbie so maybe there's something else I missed?
1980 kz550ltd

80 kz550ltd idling question 18 Mar 2017 20:06 #757077

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Did you do anything with the slides, like swapping needles etc? If so, one of those may be hanging up the throttle.

There is also the fast-idle stop. If it's way out of whack that might cause the throttle to hang open.

If you look into the carbs, in the idle position, (without the motor running!) are all of the slides closed the same amount? That is usually something you should check before mounting the carbs to make sure nothing is wrong.

80 kz550ltd idling question 19 Mar 2017 08:28 #757121

• cbrianroll
  • User
Carb rebuild did involve new needles, not sure of the make as they came with the bike. Everything going was peachy when I bench tested them.(or so I thought) perhaps some gook got in somehow?? Fast idle screw didn't seem weird but will double check it and do the mod while it's off the bike. Thanks for your thoughts.
1980 kz550ltd

80 kz550ltd idling question 19 Mar 2017 08:36 #757123

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
When they are off the bike, look through the carbs. You should be able to get almost all of the light to disappear when the throttle is closed.

80 kz550ltd idling question 19 Mar 2017 09:52 #757130

• cbrianroll
  • User
1/16..1/8..?? Running out the door but took a quick look...1 and 4 are maybe 1/32...2 and 3 are pretty much tight.
1980 kz550ltd

Last edit: by cbrianroll.

80 kz550ltd idling question 20 Mar 2017 08:50 #757217

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
If two slides are basically closed, you should nto really see any light through any of them. 1/32" is a really big opening compared to closed.

If you notice, the light makes a crescent shape as you look through. You should not be able to eyeball the thickness of the crescent as being different, but use the length of the crescent to tell which ones are more open.

It sound like the slides are far enough off that two are closed and are then forcing the other two to stay open too far.

It can be the carb slide adjusters, but if you had not adjusted them it's unlikely. Or possibly two slide mounts are not quite fully seated inside the slide. Or something got cocked inside the slide. Or the mounting to the throttle shafts has not been fully restored to the original position. Did you release the crank arms from the throttle shaft when replacing the needles? That makes it much easier, but don't attempt to loosen those screws unless you have the proper JIS driver. Those screws are very tight and a philips driver will mess them up immediately.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

80 kz550ltd idling question 20 Mar 2017 11:42 #757234

• cbrianroll
  • User
Thanks for your input, I really suck with carbs. I got them all evened out, can barely see light now. Everything is smooth and free so I'll give it a go after work. I'dI'd have the carbs completely apart to clean them in ultrasonic cleaner, so much easier to work on them in pieces. The hardest part for me will be setting the air mix screws....my hearing is bad lol
1980 kz550ltd

• Page: