Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fitting Z1 airbox on KZ900 09 Jan 2017 15:53 #751814

• Nic
  • Nic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Well I searched for info on fitting the early airbox on the KZ900, a few things came up but apart from one post by wired George who said yep, it fits, not a lot of info, some "thought" you "might" have to cut up your side covers but nothing concrete that inspired me to go ahead and buy the airbox, I bought it anyway hoping it would go on, I was gonna get it on somehow.
So it arrived this morning and I now have it on n thought a tip or two might help or inspire others to piss the pods off n put the early airbox on.
It goes on pretty easy, I just loosened the carb clamps, left the cables attached and dropped the carbs down, I put a towel each side under the carbs so as not to scratch my new engine paint. Then I slid the carb rack out the right side so #1 carb lined up with #4 intake, give or take, the rack stayed there with no thought of it dropping down or out.
So then I worked the airbox in from the left, you need to bend the intakes and work it in, the odd cable tie on the frame rail had to be cut off for max room.
I didn't need to use the old airbox support as the box sits on the cross member that holds the battery box in.
Now with the box roughly in place I put the carbs back on, from there you just have to work the hoses onto the carbs, don't forget the clamps, I found it best to fit and clamp #s 1 n 4 first, this made it easier to put the inner two on and clamp as there was a bit of pressure now with 1n4 now on.
It fits like a glove and there is no need to touch the side covers.
Hope this helps someone else who's frustrated over the scarcity of the stock KZ box, sounds like they're a pig to fit anyhoo, goodbye induction noise.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ802, davemart11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fitting Z1 airbox on KZ900 09 Jan 2017 16:31 #751819

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Looks good. I had to use a KZ 900 air box for my 33's so I could cut larger holes to accept larger boots. The local thieving meth head stole my stock one, cut the back off and bolted a automotive air cleaner to it for his CB 750. :angry: He came by to show me and couldn't leave quick enough when he saw the look on my face. It was taken from him by the SO for stolen tags. Served him right. :evil:
Steve

Attachments:

Fitting Z1 airbox on KZ900 10 Jan 2017 05:25 #751850

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Here's one of numerous posts by wiredgeorge where he addresses using a Z1 air box on various other KZ models.

wiredgeorge wrote: . . . I LIKE using a Z1 airbox with a K&N filter on any of my bikes. There is TONS of room on both the LTD and A model for 76 (battery removes differently). The airbox fits back towards the battery and is supported by the front battery cross brace so you don't have to tie it up to support it. It also doesn't touch or contact the the 76 side covers. . . I prefer 26s on my personal ride (KZ1000E1) which now has a Z1 airbox and K&N filter. . . the K&N drop in flows no better than the paper drop in in the Z1 airbox btw.... not as far as I can tell.

Clicking the link below should list most of the posts by wiredgeorge where he mentions the Z1 airbox:
www.kzrider.com/forum/search?query=Z1%20...te=all&childforums=1

Z1 Enterprises lists the Z1 airbox:
www.z1enterprises.com/product/PM81-2361

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nic

Last edit: by Patton.
  • Page: