Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 Ltd kz550 gas leak 01 Jul 2016 18:24 #733552

• Brick123c
  • Brick123c's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Guys! I have gasoline coming from my pod filters(not recommended I know. I hate them they make for poor performance) only thing I could think of is if when I cleaned the carbs the floats got bent or tilted and is continuing flow. Happens when the bike is on and when it's off. But it happens maybe 3 times a day and it's maybe a fluid ounce that comes out each time.
1982 Kz550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 Ltd kz550 gas leak 01 Jul 2016 19:18 #733554

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
Most often caused by-
Dirty or failed fuel petcock + dirty or failed float valves
Fuel levels too high
Some combination of the above
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

82 Ltd kz550 gas leak 02 Jul 2016 16:06 #733634

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
  • Thank you received: 13
This bike can run pretty good with pod filters.

Are your carb overflow tubes clogged? My TK22's have overflowed like a sieve out of the overflow/drain but never to where fuel was leaking from the pod filters.

If you have done TexasKZ's suggestions and the carbs still overflow the next check:

The float level can be set but the float can be tweaked so the float valve will not close. Support the carb rack level with the bowls off. Raise each float with your finger and make sure each float valve moves smoothly into the float seat. If any do not, check the float tang for a dimple from the float valve nipple (smooth this with a scotchbrite) and make sure the float tang is level. It is easy to bend the tang crooked if you have recently adjusted the float level. Also make sure the float itself is not bent to the point where it will not float up into the "pocket" in the carb body.
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

82 Ltd kz550 gas leak 02 Jul 2016 22:21 #733677

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If they are leaking from the filter, then your drain/overflow system is messed up or clogged on one or more carbs.

82 Ltd kz550 gas leak 03 Jul 2016 03:13 #733684

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621

Guys! I have gasoline coming from my pod filters(not recommended I know. I hate them they make for poor performance) only thing I could think of is if when I cleaned the carbs the floats got bent or tilted and is continuing flow. Happens when the bike is on and when it's off. But it happens maybe 3 times a day and it's maybe a fluid ounce that comes out each time.

If the floats got bent, then that's most likely the problem.
I would do the service fuel level check. clear tube method. then adjust the floats as necessary.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: