Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 22 Jun 2016 19:24 #732461

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Wish I could help but I never figured out how to separate the needle trom the slide. I chickened out of using force.
Interested in an answer - if there is one - also.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JR.

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 03:07 #732479

• akolleth
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6

Nessism wrote: New question for you guys familiar with these Keihin's...

I'm trying to remove the needle out of a slide. There appears to be a threaded plug holding the needle in place but that darn plug won't budge after turning with a screwdriver. I'd normally try some heat on the fastener but don't want to burn the diaphragm. Am I correct in assuming that plug unscrews? Any suggestions?

Yes it definitely unscrews. I had to replace mine because of fitting a Dynajet kit (that I bought from you Nessism, LOL) I didn't have to use too much excessive force to get mine to break loose, but I definitely would be wary of using heat on those. The diaphragm seems like it would be easy to burn. this is one of those cases where you need to make sure your screwdriver fits perfect in the slot. Don't just use any one you have laying about, find one that is nice and tight in the slot and you will have a lot less chance in stripping it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.

Last edit: by akolleth.

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 03:11 #732480

• akolleth
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I guess worst case if you do damage the diaphragm there is a company that makes new replacements, although pricey at $20 a pop

jbmindustries.com/Keihin_diaphragm.html
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very, very brightly Roy.

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 04:47 #732483

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Yes, that bronze plug is threaded. I know it because I took them out to install de Dynojet needles.
Big plain screw driver that fits really tight is all you need. You can use some penetrant oil also. We have nothing else than WD40 here in Argentina, but I keep reading great reviews about Kano Kroil oil in the USA.
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 07:27 #732503

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Believe me, I'm well familiar with using tight fitting screwdrivers. I did just that and the slot in the plug was starting to get buggered from the torque of turning. I'll try soaking the plug in PB Blaster for a day or so and try again. Maybe a soldering iron on the screw will allow some localized heat. Fingers crossed.

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 07:29 #732504

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

akolleth wrote: I guess worst case if you do damage the diaphragm there is a company that makes new replacements, although pricey at $20 a pop

jbmindustries.com/Keihin_diaphragm.html

The problem at hand is corrosion on the tip of one of the needles. I've got one diaphragm that's cut on the end too so those replacement diaphragms may come in handy in the future. I'm not crazy about the fact that they are not secured to the slide better though.

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 13:20 #732539

• undiablo
  • User
The tip of the needle shouldn´t be a problem. Can you post a picture?
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 23 Jun 2016 14:22 #732546

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

undiablo wrote: The tip of the needle shouldn´t be a problem. Can you post a picture?

I know the corrosion can be scrubbed off with scotchbrite but the anodize is gone. I've got another slide with a torn diaphragm so I figure the good parts can be combined. These will just be spares at this point anyway. I've got clean parts for the project carbs already.

EDIT: I was able to remove the threaded plug after wrapping the slide in duct tape and then carefully clamping it in a vice before using two hands on the screwdriver.

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 24 Jun 2016 06:39 #732622

• undiablo
  • User
Good work Nessism! Glad to hear that.
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 24 Jun 2016 07:41 #732631

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
One last little tidbit of information about rebuilding these Keihin's...

In order to ungang these carbs for proper servicing the choke butterfly shafts must be removed. Problem is the butterfly shaft screws have a hollow tip and Kawasaki calls for using a special tool after assembly to flare out the end of the screws to help retain them during use for fear of the bike ingesting a loose screw. Kawasaki used to sell a special service kit including the choke shafts and new screws but those parts are long out of production.

During assembly of the carbs I used red loctite on the screws to aid retention. I also made a little tool to flare out the screw end. Nothing special here, I just took an old needle file, because the metal is very hard, and ground a rounded point in the end. I then cut off the end using a cut off wheel thus creating a small pointy nib so to speak. I attached this nib on the jaws of some high leverage channel lock type pliers and placed the nib point in the hollow tip of the screw and the other jaw on the head of the screw, and then squeezed as hard as I could. That should do it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 25 Jun 2016 20:57 #732832

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Finished! Glad that's over with! Struggled to get the float height set properly. I don't know what it is about these Keihin's but the float needles seem finicky, even with new needles.

P1030119 by nessism , on Flickr

P1030115 by nessism , on Flickr

KZ750 LTD Keihin CV34 Carb Questions 25 Jun 2016 21:17 #732834

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
The seats really suck also.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0