Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

shindy carb kits 04 May 2016 21:19 #724641

• strum
  • strum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationany one use these kits? looks like a good kit to me.

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

shindy carb kits 05 May 2016 05:07 #724666

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
The original Mikuni brass jets and such are high quality and rarely wear out. Those aftermarket parts may not be a perfect match to the originals, and the only truly useful parts are the rubber o_rings, of which that kit is incomplete.

You would be much better off purchasing O-rings and maybe gaskets as needed from a place like Z1 Enterprises or an OEM source like Partzilla. Recycle all the brass parts. Most importantly, fully break down the carbs and soak all the hard parts in Berrymans carb dip or similar. Do the job right the first time and you will be miles ahead. Pulling the float bowls and replacing the jets with aftermarket does not constitute a proper carb rebuild.

shindy carb kits 05 May 2016 06:43 #724681

• strum
  • User

Nessism wrote: The original Mikuni brass jets and such are high quality and rarely wear out. Those aftermarket parts may not be a perfect match to the originals, and the only truly useful parts are the rubber o_rings, of which that kit is incomplete.

You would be much better off purchasing O-rings and maybe gaskets as needed from a place like Z1 Enterprises or an OEM source like Partzilla. Recycle all the brass parts. Most importantly, fully break down the carbs and soak all the hard parts in Berrymans carb dip or similar. Do the job right the first time and you will be miles ahead. Pulling the float bowls and replacing the jets with aftermarket does not constitute a proper carb rebuild.

im trackin with ya on all that Nessism i was just wondering if these were better kits or the same as the K&L
it a shame they make these its but leave out valuable parts like the fuel rail and tee orings and give us a lot of unneeded stuff.. well i guess if my carbs were basket cases then i could use some of the brass stuff. mainly i wanted the bowl gaskets, float needles,and O-rings.
what im doing is replacing my bowls with a set that has overflow tubes. Its a known issue with some of these bikes that have no overflows. With out them ,if the petcock fails and a float sticks open then its possible to fill a cylinder with fuel and bend a rod at startup.
Blairsville Ga.

2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)

Last edit: by strum.

shindy carb kits 05 May 2016 06:52 #724684

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
There are a couple of Amazon vendors that have good prices on float needles. For O-rings I like to use McMaster Carr or Z1 Enterprises.

I hear you about finding float bowls with the overflow tubes. I got a set of '80 carbs and stole the float bowls and put them on my '81 because of that. I found it critical to perform a fuel level check instead of just float level. It's more work but worth it so you can be sure everything is set correctly.

Last edit: by Nessism.

shindy carb kits 05 May 2016 09:36 #724729

• strum
  • User
i found a set of Voyager bowls with over flows that are said to be exact fit and my carbs are running perfect now.
I do have some cracks in my airbox (another know issue ) ill fix while the carbs are off. so if the bowls fit well and the gaskets are fine I may not mess with the carbs at all. except of course ill do a clear tube float level test.
Blairsville Ga.

2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)

shindy carb kits 13 May 2016 06:01 #726095

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
  • Thank you received: 21
Has anyone ever used Keyster carb kits? Looks promising!

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike
Attachments:

shindy carb kits 13 May 2016 06:28 #726105

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Yep, chicks sell parts. :evil:
Steve

• Page: