Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 30 Apr 2016 13:56 #723806

• Nhanc3d
  • Nhanc3d's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm rebuilding the carbs and am looking for some guidance.

One of the first things I notice was my #3 choke pipe is slightly bent. Is this going to cause any issues?

Attachment 20160430_093132.jpg not found

One of my floats is bent. I took a pair of pliers and slowly bent it back so that the two floats are level. Any other recommendations?

Attachment 20160430_094931.jpg not found

Another float looks to have burn marks. It seems in pretty good shape otherwise. Should I be concerned about this and what could have caused it?

Attachment 20160430_094949.jpg not found

I'm also having troubles removing the drain plug from the bowl of each carb. It seems to be pretty stuck in place. I've tried lighly hammer tapping a screwdriver to loosen it but with no luck. I just don't want to force it too much.

Lastly, I would like to disassemble the throttle valve assembly, the Clymer's guide doesn't cover this. I would like to at least inspect and replace the needle it if necessary. Any information on the removal process?

Thanks
1979 KZ650(D2) SR .
Salt Lake Area
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nhanc3d. Reason: Wording

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 30 Apr 2016 14:19 #723807

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Float them in water to see if they're even.
Steve

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 30 Apr 2016 14:42 #723814

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Try using a large flat screwdriver for the drain plugs that fits well ..... I've always had trouble with mine too they get very tight but will break free...... after bending the float around you need to check the fuel level...... search clear tube check for the way to test the level and that should be in your manual as well..... thinking the float is just stained with fuel not really burnt...... on the needle valve didn't it drop out when you removed the float you could un screw the seat from the body for cleaning and it could maybe need a new washer too...... keep them in order and mainly check it for ridges and smoothness....... after you put them back together with the proper level if they don't over flow that will tell you they are sealing well.

Stay away from the rebuild kits if you need o rings which you probably do maybe buy them from Z1 enterprises or Jetsrus
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 30 Apr 2016 15:18 #723819

• Nhanc3d
  • User

KZB2 650 wrote: Try using a large flat screwdriver for the drain plugs that fits well ..... I've always had trouble with mine too they get very tight but will break free...... after bending the float around you need to check the fuel level...... search clear tube check for the way to test the level and that should be in your manual as well..... thinking the float is just stained with fuel not really burnt...... on the needle valve didn't it drop out when you removed the float you could un screw the seat from the body for cleaning and it could maybe need a new washer too...... keep them in order and mainly check it for ridges and smoothness....... after you put them back together with the proper level if they don't over flow that will tell you they are sealing well.

Stay away from the rebuild kits if you need o rings which you probably do maybe buy them from Z1 enterprises or Jetsrus

The needle I was referring to was the needle jet. It's number 34 in the diagram.

Attachment CarbParts.PNG not found

I can't find instructions on the removal of this needle.
1979 KZ650(D2) SR .
Salt Lake Area
Attachments:

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 30 Apr 2016 22:37 #723870

• retterath
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I wouldn't worry about the bent choke tube, sometimes things crack instead of straighten. The float may have been repaired at some point. You probably don't need to remove the needle, but if you really want to, remove screw #30, then it should come out the top. Pay attention to which groove the clip is in.

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 30 Apr 2016 22:40 #723871

• Nhanc3d
  • User

retterath wrote: I wouldn't worry about the bent choke tube, sometimes things crack instead of straighten. The float may have been repaired at some point. You probably don't need to remove the needle, but if you really want to, remove screw #30, then it should come out the top. Pay attention to which groove the clip is in.

Thanks. I was able to get the needles out. It looks like the PO installed one of the needles incorrectly. I was able to fix it. All the needles were set at the 3rd notch. Does the notch matter if the e clips are set the same on all needles?
1979 KZ650(D2) SR .
Salt Lake Area

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 01 May 2016 06:16 #723896

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Nhanc3d wrote: . . . The needle I was referring to was the needle jet. It's number 34 in the diagram. . . .

34 is the jet needle.

7 is the needle jet.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Carb rebuild 79 KZ650 01 May 2016 06:28 #723900

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Yes, it does matter which groove the clip is in. Putting the clip in a different groove will either raise or lower the jet needle in relation to the needle jet, this will put a different part of the needle's taper in the jet at any given slide opening. This directly affects the fuel mixture throughout most of the needle's travel until it is wide open. Raising or lowering the needles is part of the tuning process and can dramatically affect engine performance .
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.
  • Page: