Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb vacuums 11 Feb 2016 18:28 #710537

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I've explained this before. When you adjust the float, you don't want to bend the tang on too much of a angle. It makes the needle cocked to the side in it's seat. The tang should be almost level. Bend the arms slightly, then bend the tang to fine adjust the float.
You may have a bad cap or crusty spark plug wire ends. Cut 1/4" off and see if that helps.
Have you adjusted the valves? A lot of guys don't want to do it, they go straight to the carbs and chase their tails.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb vacuums 11 Feb 2016 19:10 #710543

• gixxerkidd03
  • gixxerkidd03's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
yes the valves were lapped and were set with a few new shims
1981 KZ750e

Carb vacuums 12 Feb 2016 04:03 #710568

• jdvorchak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50

swest wrote: I've explained this before. When you adjust the float, you don't want to bend the tang on too much of a angle. It makes the needle cocked to the side in it's seat. The tang should be almost level. Bend the arms slightly, then bend the tang to fine adjust the float.

Steve

In every case I've seen the floats had to be adjusted too much the real problem was with the needle valve and that spring loaded tip was frozen. I have revived them with a combination of carb cleaner and heat from my heat gun, to loosen that springy part. If your needle does not have a rubber tip you can use PB Blaster on that springy part. But PB will destroy rubber in a few seconds so I don't advise using it. Generally you don't want PB blaster anywhere near carbs.
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

Last edit: by jdvorchak.

Carb vacuums 14 Feb 2016 11:16 #710700

• gixxerkidd03
  • User
clear tube test passed, all floats are set perfect, i changed the oil / filter( which had a ton of fuel in it ). and did new spark plugs. i changed and load tested the Bike Maser TruGel battery and it failed, voltage dropped from 12v to 8v under a load.

so being valentines day, i bought my girl a new Shorai Lithium batter. i figure it will last me much longer and give me the extra kick to clean some wiring up.

I'm not able to get to my bike until monday or tuesday where i plan to run some test on the charging system to make sure everything is within spec. ( which im not suspecting its not).

ill let you guys know with it was just the fouled plug . or not
1981 KZ750e

Carb vacuums 14 Feb 2016 19:30 #710744

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

gixxerkidd03 wrote: . . . changed the oil / filter( which had a ton of fuel in it ). . . .

Would suspect fuel leakage past a supposedly closed float valve (for whatever reason) and/or fuel from the petcock through the vacuum line (as reported) as causing fuel to rise into the carb throat and flow through the intake port into the combustion chamber and keep flowing down around the pistons into the crankcase.

Fuel leakage past a supposedly closed float valve may be happening in one or more of the carbs.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Carb vacuums 16 Feb 2016 21:14 #711020

• gixxerkidd03
  • User
everything seems to be good

tonight i installed my new shorai LiOn battery and tested the charging system to ensure the battery will perform adequately.

new spark plugs
fresh oil and filter
the bike fired and ran strong. i let it warm up than i pulled the problem plug (#3)
the plug was dry! which was a good sign.

cyl 2 and 3 plugs are a bit black and sooty
and cyl 1 and 4 look pretty good. the photo is what 1-4 looked like and i didnt get a photo of what 1-3 looked like ;)

Attachment image(4).jpeg not found

looking in the #3 plug hole the cylinder still looked a little wet but im assuming it will take a little to dry up ( plug is dry)

i ran it down the road and all in all its running pretty good .
only thing is the black sooty plugs on 1-4 and still the occasional little popping from #4 carb
1981 KZ750e
Attachments:

Last edit: by gixxerkidd03.

Carb vacuums 16 Feb 2016 21:35 #711027

• gixxerkidd03
  • User
im thinking cylinder 2 and 3 being black and sooty from running rich, maybe failing coil?
1981 KZ750e

Carb vacuums 16 Feb 2016 23:15 #711032

• jdvorchak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50

gixxerkidd03 wrote: im thinking cylinder 2 and 3 being black and sooty from running rich, maybe failing coil?

Or failing or out of spec plug caps. That resister in there corrodes and goes out of spec.
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

• Page: