Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Homemade air box boots? 01 Oct 2015 09:06 #692824

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Thats two different things there. If you just want to soften them up a bit to get them fitted,dump them in boiling water and get them on quick as theyll start to harden up again as soon as they start to cool.
The wintergreen thing(from what I understand) is more a restoritive treatment for the rubber. More long term. (Though,as I said before,I lost mine,so,Ive no idea how effective this is.)
Have a go,let me know how well it works.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by davido.

Homemade air box boots? 01 Oct 2015 09:24 #692829

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
I removed my air box assembly about 36 years ago going replacing with a crazy combo of custom made velocity stacks and modded pod filters.
Not sure why somebody didn't or hasn't developed this idea but ...it was different and only lasted on the bike that one season and I went to over the counter UNI filters.
Early this summer I found my old air box at my 94 yr old mothers house....with all four of the original boots still in it!
AMAZINGLY..... they are still quite soft and supple .... they are totally usable!
No idea why they are so soft other then they were only on the bike for about 2 seasons when they were new.
So.... with all the chatter about original air boxes, pods, difficult carb setups vs power increase/reduction and all that rot, I am sure I'll be reinstalling them for the next season.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Homemade air box boots? 01 Oct 2015 10:01 #692834

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23

missionkz wrote: I removed my air box assembly about 36 years ago going replacing with a crazy combo of custom made velocity stacks and modded pod filters.
Not sure why somebody didn't or hasn't developed this idea but ...it was different and only lasted on the bike that one season and I went to over the counter UNI filters.
Early this summer I found my old air box at my 94 yr old mothers house....with all four of the original boots still in it!
AMAZINGLY..... they are still quite soft and supple .... they are totally usable!
No idea why they are so soft other then they were only on the bike for about 2 seasons when they were new.
So.... with all the chatter about original air boxes, pods, difficult carb setups vs power increase/reduction and all that rot, I am sure I'll be reinstalling them for the next season.

before installing them next season, maybe give it a last ride with pods, then once dialed in, do a write up on the comparison?
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Homemade air box boots? 01 Oct 2015 10:13 #692837

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
With the 26's you won't be disappointed.
Steve

• Page: