Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

need recommendation for air pods 27 Sep 2015 07:57 #692142

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you are riding in rain a lot, and you have an airbox, use it. Once you jet the box properly, the difference in performance will not be so great. The character of the motor will change slightly, to a more torquey low-end rather than a high end zing, but that is usually better in traffic anyway.

I did not like the Uni pods I had. They dried and crumbled and little foam bits were geting sucked into the engine... and yes, I used the Uni brand cleaner and sticky oil as directed. Sunlight U-V and maybe some of the ethanol vapors took a toll on the foam. I also went through similar isssues with K&N, but not quite as bad. Now I use the disposable dry pods. They look much nicer, cost very little, and require no maintenance or messy/expensive chemicals.

I also have two other bikes with airboxes. They are the rain-day choice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need recommendation for air pods 27 Sep 2015 08:01 #692143

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

need recommendation for air pods 28 Sep 2015 04:43 #692267

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265

loudhvx wrote: If you are riding in rain a lot, and you have an airbox, use it. Once you jet the box properly, the difference in performance will not be so great. The character of the motor will change slightly, to a more torquey low-end rather than a high end zing, but that is usually better in traffic anyway.

I did not like the Uni pods I had. They dried and crumbled and little foam bits were geting sucked into the engine... and yes, I used the Uni brand cleaner and sticky oil as directed. Sunlight U-V and maybe some of the ethanol vapors took a toll on the foam. I also went through similar isssues with K&N, but not quite as bad. Now I use the disposable dry pods. They look much nicer, cost very little, and require no maintenance or messy/expensive chemicals.

I also have two other bikes with airboxes. They are the rain-day choice.

What brand of dry pod filters have you been running ..... I like the APE pods I have but they are getting close to needing replacing...... saw a couple on Ebay ovals Alphamoto off brand for around 26 bucks...... you ever see the review on 3a racing dry pods #1 and #2 in filtering and flow but thinking they don't sell em anymore..... is a older review.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

need recommendation for air pods 28 Sep 2015 06:44 #692294

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Originally they were branded as Emgo. I think I got them at Z1enterprises. But there are a few other no-name ones I've seen that look identical. It's probably the same factory making them and they just put them in different boxes. As long as they are labeled disposable, they are probably the same ones (cone shaped, chrome plated, with external wire mesh).
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

need recommendation for air pods 21 Nov 2015 10:21 #699790

• dur65geo
  • dur65geo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought and put on the Uni pods with Uni oil. Is there a specific jetting to those pods that I should follow? My bike history as I know it is this: I bought it with pods on (not Uni) and it was jetted for those pods. I replaced them with a stock air box but did not rejet the carbs for the airbox. Now, I have the Uni pods and theoretically it's still jetted for the 1st pods mentioned above.

Suggestions for jetting now? Again, I'm new to all this, thanks for the patience. G

need recommendation for air pods 21 Nov 2015 12:23 #699819

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
If she was jetted for pods already, and ran fine, start her up and see how she is now.
Should be fine, or may need some adjustments to the air screws (if applicable).
You may have pilot type carbs, being a '77 model 650.
Any idea what size jets are in the carbs?

650 carb ID:
forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=8754.0
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.
  • Page: