Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

80 kz750 carb removal 19 Sep 2015 11:35 #690858

• originalhandy
  • originalhandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I have pulled the carbs off my bike, the throttle cable is still attached. Where do I remove it at, is it both these nuts in the pic? I realise it's a noob question ...

Also does anyone have a rebuild kit they can recommend or will any do?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

80 kz750 carb removal 25 Nov 2015 19:58 #700578

• blink543
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

originalhandy wrote: So I have pulled the carbs off my bike, the throttle cable is still attached. Where do I remove it at, is it both these nuts in the pic? I realise it's a noob question ...

Also does anyone have a rebuild kit they can recommend or will any do?

Loosen them don't remove them and then remove the cable end piece from where it's held in place
Adam james

80 kz750 carb removal 26 Nov 2015 04:31 #700602

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
I've recently rebuilt two sets of those Keihin carbs. They are not overly difficult to rebuild but there are a few tricks. More specifically, the carbs are grouped together into two pairs, connected by the choke butterfly shafts. To properly clean and replace all the carb O-rings (which I strongly suggest), you need to ungang the carbs and that means removing the choke butterfly valve on at least two of the carbs.

Z1 Enterprises sells the various O-rings you will need including those for the: floatbowls, pilot screws, drain screws, and the fuel transfer tubes. I advise against changing the jets, just remove and clean the ones you have. You have to be careful to use screwdrivers that fit the slot of the jets otherwise you can damage the parts. One other thing you may want to consider changing are the float needles if yours are in poor condition.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions about the cleaning process.

80 kz750 carb removal 26 Nov 2015 04:51 #700603

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Nessim,

When you removed the choke butterflys and shafts, could you see what kind of seal seals the choke shaft to the carb body?
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

80 kz750 carb removal 26 Nov 2015 05:19 #700607

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

undiablo wrote: Nessim,

When you removed the choke butterflys and shafts, could you see what kind of seal seals the choke shaft to the carb body?

There are NO shaft seals. Nothing, on either the throttle shafts or the choke shafts. I was surprised.

80 kz750 carb removal 26 Nov 2015 05:23 #700608

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Really? Well that is something new to me. I was afraid of hurting the "seals" so I never removed them.
Thanks for sharing.
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

80 kz750 carb removal 26 Nov 2015 08:49 #700628

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Of concern to me when messing with the butterfly valve screws is making sure they don't come back out and get sucked into the engine. The screws themselves have a hollow tip and you are supposed to upset the end and mushroom them. Well, lacking the tool I used red locktite instead. You can still get them out if necessary but some decent retaining power at least.

Re:80 kz750 carb removal 26 Nov 2015 09:21 #700635

• Rustyhama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19

Nessism wrote: I've recently rebuilt two sets of those Keihin carbs. They are not overly difficult to rebuild but there are a few tricks. More specifically, the carbs are grouped together into two pairs, connected by the choke butterfly shafts. To properly clean and replace all the carb O-rings (which I strongly suggest), you need to ungang the carbs and that means removing the choke butterfly valve on at least two of the carbs.

Z1 Enterprises sells the various O-rings you will need including those for the: floatbowls, pilot screws, drain screws, and the fuel transfer tubes. I advise against changing the jets, just remove and clean the ones you have. You have to be careful to use screwdrivers that fit the slot of the jets otherwise you can damage the parts. One other thing you may want to consider changing are the float needles if yours are in poor condition.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions about the cleaning process.

+1 on the float needles
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

• Page: