Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Which carb repair kit? 26 Nov 2014 18:45 #654733

• julduck
  • julduck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I purchased a non-running KZ550 in Miami, FL from a guy who got it in San Diego, CA. It seems to be a 1984 KZ550 Ltd, with shaft, Canadian version (odometer in km, not miles).

I could start the bike, but as soon as I remove the choke or try to rev the engine, it dies. I started cleaning the carbs, but I need repair kits. I bought 4 from Rusty Riders based on their model selection tool, but they're the wrong ones (see attachments).

Can anybody help me identify the bike model, carb model, and carb repair kit reference? The serial number starts with KZ550FE
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by julduck. Reason: corrected typo

Which carb repair kit? 26 Nov 2014 20:19 #654754

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Damn CV carbs. Pain in the ass. Here ya go, check the jets, mainly the pilots. Check the slide diaphragms. Don't open them up, just put your thumb over the large vent at the top. Push up the slide up with your finger. Any pressure? Lift the slide again, block the vent and see if it falls fast or slow. It should fall slowly. If not THERE IT IS. Carb kits are rarely needed with a good cleaning. Carb cleaner is murder on rubber. I bet that poor thing had it's fill of it owner to owner. The Dph's are probably shot. If the test failed, open one and check it out. It should be obvious. Soft or hard, cracked, gone?
Steve

Which carb repair kit? 26 Nov 2014 20:42 #654756

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
I know little about the 550s but Z1Enterprises website shows engine a frame numbers here
www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByCategory.asp...&category=0101010301

Might be a starting point until the 550 gurus come along

Good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Which carb repair kit? 28 Nov 2014 07:06 #654826

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Those are TK brand CV carbs. Quite rare. As used on the later model 550's due to emissions reasons.

I'm firmly in the anti "carb kit" camp because many of the common kits are filled with junk Chinese parts. There are some decent quality kits available, but you need to verify the jet sizes in the kit match those in your carbs; the kits tend to be generic, but the jetting often times varied from model to model and/or year to year, so it's difficult to tell if the carb kit parts will match your original carbs.

Z1 sells O-rings and some individual replacement parts like float needles and seats. Most of the time you can save your jets after a good carb dip soaking. Poke through the jet orifice with a piece of wire and hold the jet up to the light to make sure the passage is open. Before ordering carb kits I'd try to clean what you have and see if you can recycle the parts. If necessary order the specific replacement jets by number to be sure you get the proper parts. And make sure to replace all the soft rubber O-rings. Doing the carbs this way assures the jetting is correct for your bike, plus it's cheaper than gambling on carb kits.

Last edit: by Nessism.
  • Page: