Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 12:29 #653489

• New 750
  • New 750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Like the tittle States! When I got the bike the PO was a bone head and the bike would idle at like almost 4k he had the throttle cables all out of wack, but the bike would pull hard and cruse fine,. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them both til spotless, the needle had the c clip set on the upper most position so I dropped it down one, put it all back together and now I'm having these issues, stumbles on take off up through half throttle maybe. So I put the clips back in there original upper most groove and no change, even worse maybe, I have no signs of running lean, no back firing, plugs look good, mixture screws are set per manual, the only obvious thing wrong with the bike is the battery is shot! (short on cash) could that cause issues? It has a weak spark, but I would assume that would effect running at any rpm? The bike has pods and a 2-1 exhaust. I'm getting really frustrated! Thanks in advance for any input.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 14:05 #653500

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Your bike has pods and CV carbs. Plan on spending time & $$ rejetting or install the stock air box & filter. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 14:12 #653502

• New 750
  • User
That was my original plan, to buy the stock component s, but I'm assuming it is jetted for he pods since I had none of these issues before I tore into the carbs, and got the idle back in line, I'm just wondering if I overlooked something during cleaning? I have pulled them apart four times since with no luck! I checked every part multiple times to make sure that everything is in order.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 14:24 #653503

• 650ed
  • User
Since you have had the bike was there ever a time when the idle was correct AND there was no stumble when accelerating, or did the stumble start after the idle speed was corrected? Ed

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 14:48 #653505

• New 750
  • User
Nope there was never a time when the idle was correct and it did not stumble. Only time it did not stumble is when idle was high.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 15:23 #653508

• 650ed
  • User
That is what leads me to believe it still needs to be jetted properly. Ed

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 16:07 #653515

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
What jets are in it now? The 750 twins typically run 45 pilots and 125 mains with stock airbox and exhaust.

1) I would go to 50 pilots anyway because they run better in 750 twins. They were a little lean with the 45 even with stock intake/exhaust. With pods and pipes, may need too go even richer?

2) Check for vacuum leaks around the carbs into the intake manifolds (rubbers). Also, between the intake manifolds and the head.

The "stumble" thing offline is definitely a lean condition. You can try RAISING the needle by lowering the clip to the lower slots. In mine, the stock setting is the center slot of five slots (don't know if same for yours). Going to lower slots should help the stumble but may make it run rich other places.

Main jets: I don't know. 125 is stock, you can try riching them but typically that is not what affects the off idle response.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Stumbles on ecceleration 12 Nov 2014 17:21 #653523

• New 750
  • User
FIXED! thanks alot guys, yup it must have been lean, I lowered the c clip to one notch bellow the center groove and bike runs awesome, thanks again I have been messing with this problem for days.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

• Page: