• Page:

TOPIC:

Air cleaners 23 Oct 2014 18:14 #651564

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I've owned my 1975 Z1b since I bought it new. It was a demo model with 84 miles on it. The price was $2300. In 78 I broke a cam chain. With the new valves, I bored it out to 1015, and put on some Jardine slip on mufflers. I was told the Z1b cams were different than the Z1 and Z1a so I could get away without new cams. It worked great for a while until I started working at a Salvage shop putting bikes together for the owner. That's how I got my Andrews 1X cams. The first thing everyone did was get rid of the stock air box. I had some really nice 2/1 oval foam air cleaners but getting the jetting to work was a you know what. They worked fine from a stop but at speed, the carbs seemed to be starving for air/fuel? It was then when a friend who was known to be the best wrench in the valley told me to put my air box back on. Well some flake had stolen mine and cut it up to fit a auto air cleaner for his CB 750. Being I now had 33 mm Mics and they wouldn't fit the Z1 box, I scrounged a KZ 900 box, opened up the boot holes and used radiator hose for the boots. Donny explained to me, at speed, the wind creates a vortex behind your knees causing that starving feeling. I'd open the throttle but little would happen unless I dropped down a gear or two. The frame acts as a "Super structure and is pressurized at high speed" that's what was happening to me. I've had them ever since. Maybe not cool looking but with the K/N air cleaner, I get all the throttle I need.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air cleaners 26 Oct 2014 14:37 #651788

• DSummerlin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
good to hear. I just ordered a used airbox off of squeebay last night. My bike seems to be doing fine through most rpms, maybe a little rich... but I've read so much on here about the airboxes being crucial to proper tuning and running that I'm convinced.
78 KZ650
82 KZ1000 LTD
99 ZRX 1100

Air cleaners 27 Oct 2014 16:23 #651912

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I bought my 650 in 1994 and tool of the air box two or three days later. It always ran great with individual filters, but I think I'' going to try the air box again just to see what happens. Should put me at about 10.3 in the quarter, right?

Air cleaners 28 Oct 2014 07:43 #651980

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
The pods and stacks are ment for the track. By the time you get to the 1/4 mile mark, it's all over. If that's what you want, stick with them. I always toyed with the idea of some kind of ram air system without it looking stupid. The other makes of the time had vents on their side covers. Some real, some fake. Good idea though.
Steve

Air cleaners 02 Jul 2015 16:15 #679150

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Swest,
I am just scheming the idea of ram air. Thoughts? I just started a new topic in carbs on it as I haven't found anything besides this mention in our forum. It's this frame vortex element that you guts have been taking about that has me thinking about just getting ahead of the knees!
Cheers
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

• Page: