• Page:

TOPIC:

Newb with a jet question. 23 Sep 2014 08:39 #648479

• Lmdgr34
  • Lmdgr34's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,
I have recently got my first kz a 76 900. The previous owner said it sat for a few years before he decided to unload it. I have done general maintenance to get it back in somewhat decent running order. My problem I am experiencing is I have no power with full throttle. It has pod air filters and a 4-1 pipe on it. I've read a few places on here it could be either dirty pods or improper jetting. I currently have a 122.5 for a main jet. Does that seem on the low side? I understand that every bike is different I was just hoping for a rough idea. Also where do we get jets for these things? Thank you again in advance for your help.

Walt
1976 KZ900
29mm smoothbores, pod filters, 4-1 pipe....and a whole lot of daydreaming

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newb with a jet question. 24 Sep 2014 10:47 #648634

• Lmdgr34
  • User
After gathering more information and referring to this.
www.z1enterprises.com/Z1CarbGuide.aspx
I have learned that I have 29mm Smoothbores and according to the reference guide at the bottom of that page I am 1 jet too rich for my setup. Lack of power must of been a rich bog? Bogging it down so much under 3000 rpms that it stalls out. Hopefully I will get this under my control with enough time to enjoy the rest of the season.
1976 KZ900

Newb with a jet question. 26 Sep 2014 18:50 #648921

• jenkrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Are you positive they are 29mm carbs? A bit more info would be helpful - Stock ignition setup (points)? I would check that the points are operating correctly (gaps) and the carbs are synchronized. Is it running on all 4 and are the pipes the same temperature?

Also, if the bike sat your pilot jets may be crapped up causing it to not run under 3k rpm
76' KZ900
00' KLR650
82' XV920 Virago
74' Ironhead Sportster

Newb with a jet question. 09 Oct 2014 16:06 #650190

• Lmdgr34
  • User

This is the carbs that I have. I checked the points they were fine. When I tried to sync them only number 3 was showing on the carbtune. Found I have leaky carb holders. When they come in I will try again and see if I can get them syncd.
1976 KZ900

Newb with a jet question. 10 Oct 2014 05:36 #650238

• Arttodd
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Newb, that 900 looks good. I bought my first bike back in 1979. Put a Kerker pipe on it and went through Jetting my scooter to make it run right. Oh, I'm not a cycle mechanic, but I'm not new to engine work. An old trick I was taught back in the day. Start you bike, let it idle. Rev it full throttle, at the top of the throttle immediately drop the throttle and shut off the bike. Remove the number 1 Spark plug and look at it. If its white it's running lean, if it's black it's running rich, if it's tan brown it's right in the middle and good. This is at full throttle. An old street racer who was more less an Alley Mechanic, taught me that trick. My bike never bogged or loss power at full throttle until I reached the end of the power band. There is probably a better scientific method of determining you jet size, that method I don't know. Good luck.
Arttodd
1979 Kawasaki KZ650 B3
Rock, Stock Old School Kaw

• Page: