Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carbs... 20 Aug 2014 19:36 #644650

• dakotaford1991
  • dakotaford1991's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i dont know about anyone else's experience with carbs but ive done nothing but rejet, adjust the needle, clean the carbs again, add filters to the fuel and float vent lines, clean again, and mess with these stupid carbs on my 83 550gpz. every weekend im working on this bike, ive got size 76 jets in it now on the dynojet kit needle dropped as low as it will go at about 6k feet elevation i should be good, but still runs ridiculous rich with two different sets of carb bodies . (it runs best with the 76 jets vs the 86, 92.5, 106 or 110 jets that i have. i have a custom design air box running pvc pipe and a single cone air filter (pcv system is run as factory as possible>and functions) no vacuum leaks (also running rich) im fed up with these headaches. just give me efi and let me be.
>>> rant over.
is there any solution that doesnt involve me buying another bike? or worse, another carb pack?
:sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carbs... 20 Aug 2014 20:36 #644660

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Yes; you may not like it though. The solution is to ditch the home made airbox and put on the stock unit. Your bike has CV carbs. For most folks they are a serious challenge to tune when pods are installed, so there's no telling what it would take to make them work with a home made airbox with PVC pipe - etc. There may not even be a tuning combination that will work with your airbox. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

carbs... 20 Aug 2014 22:40 #644666

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It sounds like your PVC intake may be choking the carbs. Have you tried with single pods on each carb? With stock jetting, it would be very lean at normal elevation, but at a mile high, it may not be as lean.

If you have the stock airbox, I would give that a try with stock jetting. If you have a 4-into-one exhaust, it would be slightly leaner at sea level, so it may work right at 6k feet.

Also, I assume you've done all of the motor and ignition checks. If an ignition is failing, you can end up with excess fuel on the plug, thus seeming rich, when in fact, it's an intermittent spark.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

carbs... 21 Aug 2014 09:02 #644689

• dakotaford1991
  • User
Thanks guys, ive debated wether its a fuel/air issue, or spark, and definitely seems like fuel/air. Reason i say is because neither carb pack works on half choke. Sudden death. But the one pack runs good when i have it set as lean as possible, but intermittently it will stumble. It fouls out the d8ea plugs, but not the d7ea ones. Cam timing is in sync, and the chain keeps the tensioner wear spot right in the middle of the tensioner. I do hear timing chain noises at 4k -6k rpm. Which is right in the middle of the normal operation. (55-60mph) other reason i dont want to hunt down spark is that for coils im pretty much at either accel brand for 200 big ones or factory used ones at the sellers mercy. I cought one coil to try used, it looks good, tests good, and runs the same on either bank intermittent loss of power.??? Im probably going to have to go theroute of buying a newer bike :(

carbs... 21 Aug 2014 12:45 #644706

• dakotaford1991
  • User
i will post pictures tomorrow of the airbox that i made. i was actually very impressed with it. i doubt the intake is choking it out. but thats speculation. its made from 2in id pvc and out of 4 t-fittings with 2.25 in id rubber clamps as boots. problem was i had an original air filter box, but it cracked trying to remove it, also the RH air filter was deteriorated to nothing and LH air filter was going too. i never want to go back to the stock airbox, because it was near impossible to service the carbs with it. (took me over 3 hours to get the carbs just sitting in the right spot. let alone geting all the airbox boots lined up and those spring clamps rolled in place... ugh, headache there. with my pvc pipe i can have em in and out in 20 minutes tops.
im in new mexico so its hot, dry, and high up in altitude. i change about 500 ft in elevation on my daily drive to work. i just dont think those carbs are up for the variables that i deal with here. fuel injection would be my best bet i believe. but noone makes a 4 cylinder kit for fuel injection even without throttle bodies. ? any help here i would love to have fuel injection on this thing, especially if i could control spark with the same computer! 60mpg easy!

• Page: