Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 - gas mileage 19 Aug 2014 10:55 #644464

• LineArtist
  • LineArtist's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35

martin_csr wrote: Stock ignition system? If so, have you done the maintenance & adjustment on it?
Does the bike have the stock coils & spark plug wires? When it's time for a new chain, you can probably go with different sprockets to improve the mpgs.

The coils and wires are stock and tested, points and condensers are new, new spark plugs. Everything else is factory original. I recently replaced the chain before getting it on the road and kept the factory sprockets.

I tried using Permatex bandage tape on the muffler and it simply does not work for a chrome exhaust (perhaps on a different finish). I used a heat gun to cure the bandage in place and let it sit for a few hours to dry and cool. It never fully became hard or solid. After running the engine for about 3 minutes the weld turned back to liquid and the bandage flew off from the exhaust pressure. It really needs a metal patch to make it work. My next try will include JB Weld and a 1979 US quarter to plug the hole. It seems leaving rust and jaggered edges under the patch will help create a bonding surface. Just haven't found the 1979 quarter yet.

If you find one, send it to me and I'll return a paper dollar.
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by LineArtist.

KZ650 - gas mileage 19 Aug 2014 13:27 #644489

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The coils can pass the bench resistance checks, but still be bad from internal shorts that don't become evident until the coils are stressed. A test you can try is to ride the bike at highway speeds, then stop & feel them to see if they are getting hot to the touch --- press hard w your fingers -- they should be warm, not hot. Mine were getting hot, even though they passed the resistance checks. Also, the old spark plug wires may not be as conductive as they should be. I guess the spark plugs might indicate if there's poor ignition (?), so you should check their color.

To do a muffler patch, roughen the chrome. okc-kent roughened the area & scored lines in the surface using a dremel, giving the adhesive something to grab ahold of. Too bad the patch photo is gone -- it was really nifty looking, since the ss shined up almost like chrome. The patch was quite a bit larger than the holes, probably so he'd have surface area for the adhesive. If you decide to use a patch, I would use 4 small ss machine screws & I probably wouldn't bother tapping threads ---- just drill 4 small holes & install the screws.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.