Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 16:10 #640629

• Hammytime
  • Hammytime's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, I've looked over quite a few carb leak posts and haven't found anything quite like what i'm seeing. I'm having an issue where my #3 carb is leaking through the overflow. While running idle the #3 carb will leak for ~1 sec then stop for 2-3 seconds then leak again for ~1 second.

I have already checked the needle valve and it seems good. I just installed a rebuild kit on all my carbs.
The floats look good but I haven't checked to see if the float height is right. (about to do the clear tube test).

My question is, could anything else be causing this type of overflow? I have an accelerator pump on my carb set. Could that be an issue? Is there something I've overlooked? It seems like if the float height is off then I should be getting constant overflow. It's not obvious to me as to what could cause this.

Note: I left the bike running for 30 seconds or so and this pattern was throughout the whole 30 seconds. One second of overflow then 2-3 seconds of nothing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 16:57 #640630

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Welcome aboard!

Fuel coming out of the overflow hose (the little hose on the bottom of the carb) is the common symptom of the 3 possible problems described below. Remember - NO SMOKING or other activities that could ignite the fuel while working on carbs!

The float valve is not sealing.
This may be (and probably is) just a matter of some minor dirt in the float valve and is very simple to remedy and can be done with the carbs still on the bike. Turn off fuel; drain carb by loosening big brass screw near bottom; and remove the 4 little screws on the bottom of the carb bowl. This will enable you to remove the carb bowl. You will then see the float. If you carefully remove the float you will see a stubby little needle that mates with a brass orifice; together, these two pieces are the float valve. Assuming there is no obvious damage to the needle or seat, use a Q-tip and some carb cleaner to clean the seat of the orifice and the needle. Be careful not to bend the tang that is attached to the float. This tang is the piece that the bottom of the float valve needle rests upon, and it determines the fuel level in the bowl, so bending it will change the fuel level. With the float valve cleaned it should no longer leak. To prevent a re-occurrence a quality inline fuel filter should be installed between the fuel tank and carbs. If there was damage the needle and seat should be replaced as a set; they are available.

The brass overflow tube inside the carb bowl is damaged
. When you remove the carb bowl you will see a brass tube attached inside and rising toward the top of the bowl. This is the overflow tube and it leads directly to the overflow nipple on the bottom of the carb. Normally, the fuel level within the bowl rises somewhat close to the top of this tube. If the tube becomes cracked or separates from the bottom of the carb bowl fuel will flow through it and out through the overflow hose. Checking the condition of the tube is very easy after you have removed the carb bowl from the carb. Simply hold the bowl level and fill it up near the top of the tube with water or alcohol and see if it leaks. A slight crack in the brass overflow tube can be difficult to find. You can connect a rubber tube to the overflow nipple, fill the bowl with water, put finger over the open end of the brass overflow tube and blow in the rubber end and look for bubbles. If it does the best remedy is to replace it although some folks have found creative ways to repair them.

The fuel level is set too high. This condition occurs when someone has bent the float tang as mentioned above. This condition can be checked using what is referred to as the "clear tube test." The test involves attaching one end of a clear piece of flexible tubing to the carb drain hole and holding the other end of the tube above the bowl/carb joint. When the fuel is turned on it should rise in the tube to a level 2.5 - 4.5 mm below the bowl/carb joint. If the fuel rises higher than that level it may run into the cylinders or over the upper end of the brass overflow inside the carb bowl (mentioned above) in which case it will run out the overflow hose. This condition is corrected by removing the float and gently bending the tang to raise the float valve needle position. Doing this may take several tries before achieving the desired fuel level.

Correcting each of these three conditions involves removing the carb bowl. This task can be made easier if a short screwdriver bit is used, and depending on which carb you are fixing a mirror may help you locate the screws on the bottom of the carb bowl. Also, it is not a bad idea to have a new carb bowl gasket available in case the old gasket is damaged while removing the carb bowl. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammytime

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 17:05 #640632

• Hammytime
  • User
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did the clear tube test on the leaking carb and saw that the fuel was at the gasket. I check the other carbs and found the same thing. Every carb gasket was soaked in fuel. The 3rd was the only was leaking though. I'm going to check the overflow tube to see if it's damaged. Otherwise, I think I'm going to set my float tangs a bit lower for all carbs to achieve the 2.5-4mm fuel level from gasket. All the carbs have gone through a thorough cleaning and have had a rebuild kit installed.

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 17:16 #640633

• Hammytime
  • User
Okay. I've checked the overflow tube and it seems to be in good shape. I did test out the leaking carb by filling it with fuel (pri mode of petcock) and saw that all other carbs stop successfully except the #3. This tells me that it's a needle valve issue (still possibly a float problem). Am I off my rocker? Regardless, I checked the needle valve and the needle looked good and the brass fitting it butts up to looks great (they are both brand new).

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 17:41 #640637

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Resetting the fuel level to the spec may stop the leakage. If the level is up to the gasket it is possible that the overflow tube on #3 bowl is just a tiny bit shorter than the tubes on the other carbs and thus overflowing. You could try switching the #3 bowl with the #4 bowl to see if the problem follows the bowl or stays on #3. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 19:11 #640647

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
Reset the float level. Fuel is too high.

BTW, a lot of carb kits commonly available on the market are junk. Replacing real Mikuni jets and such with aftermarket is a crapshoot.

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 19:22 #640650

• ezrider714
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38

Hammytime wrote: Okay. I've checked the overflow tube and it seems to be in good shape. I did test out the leaking carb by filling it with fuel (pri mode of petcock) and saw that all other carbs stop successfully except the #3. This tells me that it's a needle valve issue (still possibly a float problem). Am I off my rocker? Regardless, I checked the needle valve and the needle looked good and the brass fitting it butts up to looks great (they are both brand new).

Sounds to be me then that the float is set too high..... :huh:
78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

inconsistent carb leakage 19 Jul 2014 19:25 #640651

• Hammytime
  • User
Setting the floats did the trick. I hadn't messed with the floats and the previous owner said he didn't mess with them so I assumed they were stock level. You know what happens when you assume... Thanks to everyone who gave me their 2 cents.

I had the kz up and running a few minutes ago and she was running great at idle. No leaks!

Tomorrow I'll sync them up and move on to the next piece that needs work.

I guess I'll start another thread with pics so I can document my progress on this refurb project (my first!). I have a 78 kz 650 in decent shape for it's age. I bought it for $400.

Last edit: by Hammytime.
  • Page: