• Page:

TOPIC:

Leaking Carbys 24 Apr 2014 22:15 #630303

• Dukesy
  • Dukesy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah Zero,
oil level didn't changed, did an oil change anyway and couldn't detect any fuel. Ive got the carbys apart at the moment, cleaning as best I can with carby cleaner. Its a good thing that the carbys come off easily and are relatively simple to work on. New float valve assemblies I think.

cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Leaking Carbys 28 Apr 2014 03:50 #630653

• Dukesy
  • User
Hi Guys,

Still dripping !!!! only slightly but a pain in the ass ! From other z1300 groups ive contacted, this seems to be a common problem with these carbies. And some people have said its an ongoing thing that will keep coming back ?

Priced new float valves, $55 each. ouch !!! Decided to get 3 full carby kits for $75 each.

Have ordered 3 Keyster carby kits. 79-82 KAWASAKI KZ1300 NEW KEYSTER CARB CARBURETOR MASTER REPAIR KIT KK-0162NR

Anybody have any experience with these kits ? Quality ? Easy to fit ?

Leaking Carbys 28 Apr 2014 05:35 #630662

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, it may be possible to separate the float needle from its seat, and chuck a Q-tip in a drill (as if the Q-tip was a drill bit), and use the spinning Q-tip to clean and polish the seat, which will hopefully allow a leak-free fit where the needle fits into the seat orifice.

On the Q-tip, carb cleaner may suffice, and sometime Brasso does even better as a polishing agent. Other polishes may also suffice, or even an extremely fine rubbing compound may be okay.

Also examine the pointed end of the float needle to assure that it's clean and in good condition (and that there's not a groove where it fits into the seat orifice).

The basic objective is to achieve a perfectly clean and leak-free fit where the float needle tip fits into the seat orifice.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Leaking Carbys 28 Apr 2014 05:53 #630665

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Is every carb discharging gasoline through its overflow tube?
If not, which is/are overflowing?

Is the overflow discharging gasoline when the engine is running at idle rpm?

Is the overflow discharging gasoline when the engine is NOT running?

Am thinking the petcock is a manual -- not vacuum operated -- petcock.

When a properly functioning manual petcock is in OFF position, gasoline should not flow into the carb.

If the carbs are overflowing when the manual petcock is in OFF position, the petcock isn't working properly. Which may allow gasoline into the carb and through a leaking float valve, and thereafter discharged from the overflow circuit.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Leaking Carbys 28 Apr 2014 06:13 #630668

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I would disconnect the fuel line from the carburetors, and route it to a clear juice container using a long section of tubing. Manual fuel valve set to OFF. Vacuum petcock set to ON. If fuel leaks into the container, the problem may be there & not the carbs.

To check the carbs at the same time, make sure they have fuel before disconnecting the fuel line, and cap the fuel port(s) on the carbs. Capping the port(s) would mimic a closed fuel valve.

The dry settings may not work any more because of age... stuff gets old... or mangled by the previous owners. At the factory, everything was new & perfect. My carbs were in very good condition, but setting the floats dry didn't give the correct fuel level. So I redid the job wet via the clear tube method.

Leaking Carbys 06 May 2014 05:22 #631485

• Dukesy
  • User
So I'm at the stage where I'm going to check the fuel level by the clear tube method. What measurement am I after ?? I've seen somewhere its 8.5mm below the top of the bowl ?

Leaking Carbys 06 May 2014 05:23 #631486

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
That's too low. Here's the way to do it. Ed

Attachment ClearTubeTest.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Leaking Carbys 06 May 2014 14:52 #631557

• Dukesy
  • User
Thanks ed,

Looks like different carby's on a different bike though. Is the level going to be the same on a Z1300 ?

cheers

Dukesy

Leaking Carbys 06 May 2014 15:28 #631562

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Good question. That info should be in your Kawasaki Service Manual. If you don't have one you may want to send a PM to KZCSI. He has a KZ1300 and he may have a copy of the manual. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Page: