Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

tuning pods to your carbs????? 19 Apr 2014 11:22 #629602

• fastidiots
  • fastidiots's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I see so many posts about rejetting and lots of trial and error work to get the carbs tunned right to run with pods.... and it seems like much of the time it is done simply for the better look of the pods on said machine. Has eanyone ever thought about trying to tune the airflow through the pods to match the stock carb settings? maybe a layer of filter foam inside the pod filter or a simple restricter plate in the mounting boot? I am looking at possibly having this same problem on a future project where I want the pods for the looks. so I thought i would throw the idea out here for discussion. :evil:
82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by fastidiots.

tuning pods to your carbs????? 19 Apr 2014 18:02 #629649

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I have an old Henry Abe "bread box", it tunes a lot easier. I've been trying to fins time to design a new one.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

tuning pods to your carbs????? 19 Apr 2014 21:27 #629665

• fastidiots
  • fastidiots's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I have seen the bread boxes, but didn't really like the rectangle shape for my kz1000 project, I have a plan in mind for an oval shaped filter box that I will try to match to the stock carb settings. but later on when i get to rebuilding my kz750, I was thinking about going with pods and trying to tune the airflow to work with the stock carb settings. If, however, I can get the oval one for the 1000 to work right, I might just build a similar one for the 750.
82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1

tuning pods to your carbs????? 20 Apr 2014 04:02 #629682

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Some folks have reported that installation of a Dynojet kit designed for pods, which includes a different jet needle, helps significantly with carb tuning where the stock air box and filter have been replaced with pods.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

tuning pods to your carbs????? 20 Apr 2014 06:01 #629689

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
  • Thank you received: 46
I love pods. Bought a nice 79' KZ650 for cheap last November. Guy cut out the airbox and installed pods. After about a year of trying to tune he gave up and sold me the bike for cheap. I have 4 more 650 airboxes waiting for bikes with pods. BTW the 650 is now running like new and I'm in talks and about to triple my investment. The orig owner wanted to buy her back but I won't sell to a butcher. Don't know what else to say. Keep podding those puppies!
Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

tuning pods to your carbs????? 20 Apr 2014 07:40 #629704

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
An airbox is not just a restriction, it is a contained volume of air, with mass and momentum and pressure, and some restriction. You won't be able to replicate the physics of that by simply restricting a pod filter. When you use pods, you tune for pods based on their physics.

You can make some noticeable power gains with pods, and if you can tune them properly, the bike is every bit as driveable as with an airbox. It depends on how much time and effort you want to put in to tuning. A wideband o2 setup makes it much easier. CV carbs will take longer, but can still be done.

tuning pods to your carbs????? 20 Apr 2014 07:51 #629707

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45

A wideband o2 setup makes it much easier.

Z-650-Spirit over at the KZ650.Info site posted a writeup w pics for tuning a 650 with an oxygen sensor.

tuning pods to your carbs????? 21 Apr 2014 17:46 #629894

• Jrbrownie00
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
The dynojet kit seems to have worked well for me.
82' kz750 ltd.

tuning pods to your carbs????? 21 Apr 2014 19:33 #629912

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

loudhvx wrote: You can make some noticeable power gains with pods, and if you can tune them properly, the bike is every bit as driveable as with an airbox. .

Until a big truck passes or you get hit with a stiff crosswind...... :lol:
1979 KZ-750 Twin

tuning pods to your carbs????? 21 Apr 2014 19:45 #629916

• Jrbrownie00
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9

bountyhunter wrote:

loudhvx wrote: You can make some noticeable power gains with pods, and if you can tune them properly, the bike is every bit as driveable as with an airbox. .

I ride a lot and this has yet to happen to me.

Just make sure the bike it running great before you make the switch, my big mistake was changing to many things at once and then having to chase problems.
82' kz750 ltd.

tuning pods to your carbs????? 22 Apr 2014 07:25 #629952

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

bountyhunter wrote:

Why would a big truck be passing me? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tattooDan

tuning pods to your carbs????? 22 Apr 2014 08:58 #629957

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

fastidiots wrote: I see so many posts about rejetting and lots of trial and error work to get the carbs tunned right to run with pods.... and it seems like much of the time it is done simply for the better look of the pods on said machine. Has eanyone ever thought about trying to tune the airflow through the pods to match the stock carb settings? maybe a layer of filter foam inside the pod filter or a simple restricter plate in the mounting boot? I am looking at possibly having this same problem on a future project where I want the pods for the looks. so I thought i would throw the idea out here for discussion. :evil:

I tried that but could never get the material to stay on the inside. Tries wrapping the outside that did not work either. I found that the "bread box" filter works the best. I have some design ideas for one but have nit had time to draw it up in CAD yet.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project