Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carb assistance needed 19 Apr 2014 00:16 #629567

• Nduetime
  • Nduetime's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
This is the second time I'm creating this post, forgive me if information is missing.

I'm in need of some advise. I'm new to carbs and motorcycles.

Bike is a 1976 kz400d. Recently purchased from previous owner who said he couldn't get running properly. Bike has single carb set up; PWK 35 carb with Uni Filter foam "pod" filter and copper manifold. Sankei (stock?) exhaust. New plugs.

When started the bike idles really high, 2500 rpm's. When I adjust the idle screw not much happen. Turn my attention to the air screw. Seat it and the idle drops and is on it's way to dying. Turn air screw 1/8 out and it stabilizes. I can almost get it to about 1/4 turns and then idle starts to increase. Ideally, I should be 1 - 2 turns out. This leads me to believe the pilot jet may be too large, rich mixture? I read I should go with a smaller pilot jet. However, I'm running a #35 and can't find one smaller. My plugs indicate a rich mixture.

Getting idle set is my first concern. Once that's set, I can then turn my focus to the other components that affect the rest of the power band.

According to the Shop Manual, idle should be 1100 - 1300 rpm's. Does this change for a single carb setup? If not, does it really matter that the air screw is only 1/8 - 1/4 turns out if I'm running the smallest pilot jet? I'm really confused by whether I'm running rich or lean.
'77 KZ400 D4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb assistance needed 19 Apr 2014 01:42 #629568

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Check for air leaks first, sounds like its running lean or like you have a vacuum leak

Also make sure the throttle cable has enough slack in it and the carb returns to the closed position
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: