Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Faulty aftermarket petcock? 14 Apr 2014 05:54 #628966

• Dbuttsvfs
  • Dbuttsvfs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wasn't sure where to put this questions but i have finally been able to get riding but on my first couple trips i have noticed after an extended amount of time (5-10 min) cruising at 5,500rpm or about 60 mph the bike acts as if its out of fuel but after switching to prime she will fire right back up and run but even then not for more than a few miles.
i have taken apart the petcock and not found any blockages but it seems slow even when working at idle.
through the inline filter you can see the flow slow to about nothing when revving to 6k.
should i hook up another vacuum line to get more draw? or just itch the cheapo and rebuild the original that i held onto.
Thanks for any and all input!
1982 kz550-c3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Faulty aftermarket petcock? 14 Apr 2014 07:24 #628974

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Could be clogged vent in gas cap
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Faulty aftermarket petcock? 14 Apr 2014 08:24 #628980

• Dbuttsvfs
  • User
That was my first thought but even with the cap wide open the fuel flow cuts out when revved and can keep the filter full.
in leaning toward the 7 dollar petcock from ebay.
i attached another vacuum line from the caped ports but its too cold the next couple days to see if that helps.
i cant imagine it will hurt to try.
thank you!
1982 kz550-c3

Faulty aftermarket petcock? 14 Apr 2014 08:30 #628981

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I can't imagine that a $7 chinese vacuum petcock would fail. :laugh:

Before rebuilding the stock unit, disassemble & inspect it to make sure the mating surfaces are good... not pitted or gouged or corroded or anything. I cleaned mine w PineSol & a toothbrush and buffed the surfaces w brass wool... steel wool should work.

The Kawasaki dealer may have the rebuild parts.
Alternatively, K&L parts from Z1Enterprises.com are made in Japan & oem quality (IMHO).

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Faulty aftermarket petcock? 14 Apr 2014 09:07 #628986

• Dbuttsvfs
  • User
sounds good!
i stripped and soaked my carbs with pine-sol and a pump circulating the fluid.
its amazing how well that pin-sol worked on those dirty old carbs.
ill tare into the old one and see the condition.
i went online to but a rebuild kit this winter and i figured if i could buy a whole new one for less than the rebuild kit id be crazy not to.
many lessons learned on this project.
i need to get the tank completely cleaned. there is some slight surface rust and already after 20 miles the inline filter has some noticeable rust particles. although that's not the problem with the petcock
1982 kz550-c3

• Page: