Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

550 carb (TK22) flaps fabrication - pics 09 Mar 2013 10:42 #576107

• apbling
  • apbling's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
I know fabricating them isn't fun...and several times I was just putting the finishing touches on one and went to crazy with the dremel and had to start over... But it's work it! my bike starts like a champ now.

As for your pics taz, I think it looks like it will work, but maybe they might be a tad thick, especially in the area where you have to make the curved hinged area. As long as it moves freely I'd think it'd work ok. As a side note, make sure the flaps cannot "walk" over on the pin while open. I had one do that it was stuck and I had trouble getting my choke to come off because it was hung up by the stuck flap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

550 carb (TK22) flaps fabrication - pics 09 Mar 2013 13:43 #576137

• tazdeville87
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
@Apbling Yea i actually didnt continue with those instead i used some sheet metal from a Vent duct connection seemed pretty durable yet bendable i yet to put my carbs installed and etc so well see how they work...hopefully they do.

550 carb (TK22) flaps fabrication - pics 11 Mar 2013 19:16 #576557

• Bunty27
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I just made mind out of tops of metal food cans and they've been holding up fairly well. B)

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/535498-my...choke-flaps-on-tk-22
1982 KZ550 LTD

550 carb (TK22) flaps fabrication - pics 17 Jul 2013 21:25 #597002

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Ok, I finally made a couple. I found the closest metal to the original, which is zinc plated 0.5 mm thick is the thin sheet metal case of computer power supplies. The dull, bluish-grey, zinc coated, sheet metal power supply cases work well.

They cut easily with tin snips, are the right type of metal, and are exactly the same thickness. I used a tiny jeweler's file to clean it up after the photos were taken.

However, if you notice, I altered the design a little bit so the hinge curl is supported at both ends. Hopefully this will prevent the hinge from breaking.

I had to design a very precise timer for the spot welder in order to get any kind of control on the weld.

This is one of two. I have photos of the other one mounted, but I'll have to dig them up later.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: