Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 06 Mar 2024 20:39 #896075

• Vinsky
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
This was a frame Boris Murray made for Sonny Routt. He said it was too 'flimsy' and sold it to Sandy Kosman. Kosman sold it to Ray Masten who ran it around So Cal in the 70s. I've had it since 87 and finally restored it a couple of years ago. I had to make several parts and repair several more. It's now ready to run except for a fuel pump.
Vinsky
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected, riturbo, slayer61, Dragbike_Mike, howardhb, Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Vinsky.

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 07 Mar 2024 04:50 #896091

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

This was a frame Boris Murray made for Sonny Routt. He said it was too 'flimsy' and sold it to Sandy Kosman. Kosman sold it to Ray Masten who ran it around So Cal in the 70s. I've had it since 87 and finally restored it a couple of years ago. I had to make several parts and repair several more. It's now ready to run except for a fuel pump. 

Thanks for sharing those pics, Vinsky.  Great job on the restoration!

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 07 Mar 2024 05:38 #896092

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 367
That's a cool piece of history, glad you made the effort to restore it, great job!

magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1967/9/1/sonny-routts-dragster

Hilborn equipment use to be all over Ebay but I have noticed a big decline over the last 5 years.

Are you running a PG150 #0 pump? Is it setup to run Gas, Alcohol, or Nitro?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: info

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 18 Mar 2024 16:04 #896578

• Vinsky
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
It has a BL235 pump mounted just for the vintage look. Nobody will flow test them any longer so a 00 will be fitted when it's run. The bike always ran on nitro and it will only be fired up for cackles.
I did a build page a few years ago on our locals vintage forum if you want to see the whole story.
 olymoto.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=589&sid=...f5e6927e471be02036fd

Vinsky
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid, Injected, slayer61

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 18 Mar 2024 19:13 #896586

• Injected
  • User

It has a BL235 pump mounted just for the vintage look. Nobody will flow test them any longer so a 00 will be fitted when it's run. The bike always ran on nitro and it will only be fired up for cackles.
I did a build page a few years ago on our locals vintage forum if you want to see the whole story.
 olymoto.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=589&sid=...f5e6927e471be02036fd

I am not familiar with that pump number but it sounds quite vintage. Hilborn was making this stuff going way back so its got to be early. Too bad they got bought out by Holley as they use to have a pretty good web site. I was kind of shocked to see that web site has disappeared.

I did not build my injected engine till 1994 and at that time Hilborn was still active and they had tech guys answering the phone for tuning advice.
I run a #00 pump as the engine on my bike is only 831cc. I run many alcohol but I have tipped the can as much as 35%.

I think I was told the #00 was good to about 1500cc on nitro, but too small if you added a supercharger or turbo on top of that.

Thanks for posting that link I will check it out for sure.

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: info

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 19 Mar 2024 04:53 #896592

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
OK, Marty in Buffalo, Here is the story! Just 3 days ago! 3-15. I ran into this old friend on the Z1 "Jimmy The Blaster" He was the jockey for a couple of bikes.
Plus picture of "Al Charlier" "The Buffalo Bullet" was a big name on the Harley circuit. They were all friends
First time I seen these old pictures! 3 days ago! We spent hours & multiple beer's talking & looking at pics
Of course this has to be 75-76 at Bowling Green. "Wild Place" back then! The owner of this bike was my Kaw Mentor! "RIP David"  Dave raced side hacks too, Blaster was the monkey. Those Z1's were like water! all over the place, stripped, crashed, blown up, insurance dis-appeared!  David saved all the stock parts
Notice the Hog wheel, All blacked out paint, No emblems, Denco left side pipe.
This time period started my Kaw obsession. Maybe the Black paint also! They were all Harley Guys, Plus I knew Paul Gast and PUPPET in their beginning's They were all hooked up together
Forward to 1991-92, I purchased David's Kaw collection, cleaned out his garage! I filled a 24' construction trailer up. Which started my ebay career in 2001 after my 1st Lumbar Surgery, learning to use my windows 95 / 8 gig gateway PC sold oem Z1 parts all over the world.
More of a personal story for me. I'm 65 now.
Lot of memories I wish I took pictures back in my early days.
Marty
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, riturbo, Street Fighter LTD, slayer61, sf4t7, Dragbike_Mike, Wookie58

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 20 Mar 2024 08:08 #896660

• Injected
  • User
Older pics showing ongoing improvements on the injected bike.

Covers 1994 to 2010.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: riturbo, slayer61, howardhb, Wookie58