Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tach cable installation Issue 24 Mar 2017 20:30 #757592

• 76carguy
  • 76carguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Working on my '81 KZ650 CSR and picked up a new Motion Pro tach drive cable, but I'm having an installation issue. The new cable must have a deeper nut, it threads on too far. To get the cable to be snug I need to remove the hold down plate that holds the tach drive assy. in place. Am I doing something wrong? Should I return the cable?

Seems like too much to file off the tach cable to make it all fit. I'm assuming that the cable should be snug in the nut when installed, right?

My bike didn't have a cable on it when I bought it, so i can't compare new and old cables. Any advice is appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 76carguy.

Tach cable installation Issue 24 Mar 2017 20:41 #757593

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I recommend you buy a genuine Kawasaki tach cable. For part number (54018-1003) verification see:

www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kawasaki#...0-H1-1981/070087F-12

if you can't find one elsewhere you should be able to locate one on eBay by using the part number for your search. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Tach cable installation Issue 25 Mar 2017 06:10 #757602

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Did the nut get damaged from bottoming out? What's the cable part # ? ..... my cable nut is 11 mm deep (motion pro).
There should be a tach drive seal & gasket. The tach holder allen bolt is missing.

A photo of the tachometer drive might help. You could remove the cable & compare the tach drive to eebbaayy photos.
maybe you ordered or received the wrong cable. or motion pro goofed & put the wrong nut on it. ???

ps: a motion pro cable should work fine. I'm using their speedo & tach cables. no problems.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tach cable installation Issue 25 Mar 2017 06:35 #757604

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Possibly fit an o'ring so that the nut will start pushing sooner against the flared end piece.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Tach cable installation Issue 25 Mar 2017 21:25 #757709

• 76carguy
  • User
Great suggestions everyone, thanks. Here is a picture of the tach drive. It does appear that I'm missing the gasket and oring. That would explain what's going on. Has anyone fab'd anything here or do I need to go OEM (if available)?

Attachments:

Tach cable installation Issue 26 Mar 2017 05:58 #757721

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I don't think the oil seal will have any effect on the cable nut bottoming out.
The gasket fits between the tach drive & cable end, so that will account for a little offset.
Lacking a gasket, you could try a washer to see if the cable nut will fit right. 16mm od
You could probably substitute a fiber washer or aluminum gasket/washer for the oem gasket.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tach cable installation Issue 26 Mar 2017 06:29 #757722

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

76carguy wrote: Great suggestions everyone, thanks. Here is a picture of the tach drive. It does appear that I'm missing the gasket and oring. That would explain what's going on. Has anyone fab'd anything here or do I need to go OEM (if available)?

Do yourself a huge favor and just buy the genuine Kawasaki parts rather than trying to do some weird home-made repair. The gasket and o-ring are readily available. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Tach cable installation Issue 26 Mar 2017 08:26 #757728

• 76carguy
  • User
Advice taken. Put a fiber washer in there and the cable tightens up with the mount in place. OEM parts ordered so I can complete the repair correctly. Assuming the OEM stuff accounts for the same thickness I'm in business.

Thanks everyone!

Anthony

• Page: