Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil leak at header 22 Feb 2017 16:01 #754878

• BIGKEVIN
  • BIGKEVIN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I did some maintenance on the bike on Monday. Cleaned the carbs and checked the valve clearance. The only clearance out of spec was on the #3 intake. I corrected that issue and put the bike back together. Started the bike up and it ran good. Put the bike away and took it back out today. Started it up and noticed that it wasn't running right. I checked the pipes and the #4 pipe was not hot. The other 3 were. I then noticed oil squirting out from where the #4 pipe connects to the head. I took the pipe off and didn't see anything out of the ordinary on the head. Put the pipe back on and it was still squirting oil from the #4 pipe at the head. Anyone have any idea's as to what would cause this problem ?
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil leak at header 22 Feb 2017 16:07 #754880

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
It is possible that the part of the cam cover gasket that goes around the Clean Air port for #4 got torn or folded over and oil is being sucked into the exhaust port. Spraying out suggests that the exhaust gasket is also toast.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Oil leak at header 22 Feb 2017 16:08 #754881

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 630
Is the oil leak above or below the exhaust pipe? :S
1982 KZ1100-A2

Oil leak at header 22 Feb 2017 17:17 #754897

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
After I put the bike back together, I had it idling and it looked like it was squirting out right next the where the pipe connects to the head. Don't think it is from the cam cover gasket. Could it be the head gasket or the valve stem seal on the #4 exhaust port ?
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Oil leak at header 22 Feb 2017 17:34 #754901

• daveo
  • Premium Member
The only leaks I've had were from the cam cover plugs and head gasket at the #4 corner. Neither were considered as possibly coming out of the exhaust port, as it was evident where the leaks were coming from.
When the head gasket leaked, it was due to a lost seal at the o-ring where the oil passes through the head along the stud on that front corner. Once the original studs were replaced with a APE HD studs and nuts, that problem was eliminated.
1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Oil leak at header 22 Feb 2017 19:36 #754925

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
Did you check the spark plugs? sometimes the oil can travel unseen.
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Last edit: by 9er rider.

Oil leak at header 23 Feb 2017 14:38 #755025

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
I started the bike again to check on this. Still seeing oil squirting from the the #4 header pipe. I took the header off and there are no gaskets on the head. Not sure if there should be or not with a V/H header. Still unable to figure out why oil is squirting from the exhaust port. I tried taking a video of it, but it didn't come out right.
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Oil leak at header 23 Feb 2017 16:18 #755036

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Would replace all four exhaust gaskets with brand new gaskets.
Be sure to first remove all old gaskets, remembering that there could be more than one old gasket inside a port, because someone might have installed two or more old gaskets instead of using a new gasket. The old gaskets are hard, black and encrusted so as to be difficult to see. So keep scraping and pecking away until positive that the port is clear of old gasket material.

When the exhaust system is properly fitted, no oil can escape past the gasket, and any liquid oil in the exhaust will likely exit from the muffler or wherever the exhaust normally exits.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Oil leak at header 25 Feb 2017 10:35 #755186

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
Thanks for the info, I checked the head and there is not gasket on any of the exhaust ports. I have scraped all 4 ports and ordered new gaskets. Hopefully that will fix my issue.
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Oil leak at header 25 Feb 2017 10:49 #755187

• daveo
  • Premium Member

BIGKEVIN wrote: Thanks for the info, I checked the head and there is not gasket on any of the exhaust ports. I have scraped all 4 ports and ordered new gaskets. Hopefully that will fix my issue.

If you have oil literally squirting out of the #4 exhaust port, then there must be a larger problem than not having an exhaust gasket in there. Is there evidence of oil on the valve stem (or around the valve guide), visible while viewing through the open port with the exhaust removed? That would suggest a bad valve-seal, or loose fitting valve guide...neither issue which any kind of exhaust gasket will fix.
Just can't imagine any other source where that oil could be coming from. :unsure:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Oil leak at header 25 Feb 2017 15:49 #755202

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
If I looked into the #4 exhaust port with the header removed from the port, the valve stem was wet, like oil had gotten on it.
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Oil leak at header 26 Feb 2017 00:43 #755236

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1460
If it is coming out of the port it's either a valve stem seal or piston ring problem.
When riding the bike if it smokes all the time it's rings.
If it only smokes on the overrun it's stem seals.
Another check for the stem seal is to remove the exhaust.
Clean the offending port of all oil and leave the bike on the main stand overnight with the exhaust valve closed, if the stem seal has failed fresh oil will be seen to have run down the stem and into the exhaust port.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.
  • Page: