Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Exhaust 22 Aug 2016 06:20 #739469

• Simbolick
  • Simbolick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi was looking at replacing my cans. But have no idea what I can get as a replacement. I want some cool looking short slip on exhaust cans. Any recommendations? Also am worried about how it will affect the motor. Thanks again dudes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust 22 Aug 2016 08:16 #739486

• Simbolick
  • User
Sorry forgot to say it's for a kz550b

Exhaust 22 Aug 2016 13:02 #739518

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
The "cans" as you call them are welded to the stock header junction pipes. You are going to have to cut them off and then fabricate some sort of mounts for the new "cans". You should also add some sort of support for those "cans" too so the weight of them doesn't stress the pipes and damage the head studs. The junction pipes, where two header pipes come together, sometimes rust so you may want to look at that before you do anything further. If there is significant rust then you won't be able to weld to that area.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Nessism.

Exhaust 22 Aug 2016 22:56 #739576

• Simbolick
  • User
Na sorry dude you are completely wrong. There is the pinch clip at the end of the pipes just before the cans. So no cutting or welding involved. All am looking for is a set of bolt on short mufflers that won't affect the motor in any way. Or will I have to adjust the carbs. From what I have read it seams like only if you change the complete system you then have recalibrate everything.

Exhaust 22 Aug 2016 23:51 #739578

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Well if they aren't like Ed says it isn't like any kz550 system I have seen (had a stock 83 kz550, and two kz550 exhausts in my shed) may have had replacement mufflers already installed then.

And on your jetting question. If you change the tone (louder or quieter) you probably are going to run into jetting issues, more air exiting the motor as noise means you need more fuel or you're running lean. Sometimes if you leave the stock airbox on and change the exhaust you get lucky, other times you don't
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Exhaust 23 Aug 2016 05:11 #739590

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Simbolick wrote: Na sorry dude you are completely wrong. There is the pinch clip at the end of the pipes just before the cans. So no cutting or welding involved......

Sorry dude but you are completely wrong and Nessism was completely right. Every KZ550 model came with the mufflers welded to head pipes. Take a good look at your motorcycle and compare it to a KZ550 parts diagram. You should be able to tell that a previous owner has changed your bike's exhaust system to a non-stock item. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Exhaust 23 Aug 2016 08:42 #739624

• Simbolick
  • User
Well maybe I was completely wrong but I meant what is in front of me. And when I say dude am not trying to be disrespectful. But any way is there a muffler I can add to this bike or is it just pick on. And see how it works and then maybe I will have to change the jets? Also it's a kz550b European model. I live in Germany so that's maybe why it's different than US models?

Exhaust 23 Aug 2016 16:50 #739683

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Err, guys, seems Simbolick is asking an honest question and I'd be willing to bet that his scooter has a set of after market headers already installed. Are they usable? 4:2 I'd guess on account of "cans" versus "can". Myself I love my Supertrapp slip on muffler/can and the price was right. I've heard lots of good things about Deklevik too and they might be better priced in Europe.

ETA: Simbollick, in general the debate about air-fuel tuning regarding jets/pods vs. airboxes/aftermarket exhausts etc. Is like the eternal debate here. Find something that works for you and your ride and ignore anyone who tells you "that can never work" including me ;)
Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Last edit: by Bowman.

Exhaust 23 Aug 2016 17:00 #739685

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
When my four mufflers rusted out I got two Jardine slip ons. They worked great. Later I got some cross over pipes. Was known as a "tuned exhaust". I ran against 4/1's and it was rider against rider. Got my V/H in 97, not earth shaking more power, maybe less. In any case the carbs had to be tuned for them.
Steve

Exhaust 23 Aug 2016 17:10 #739687

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
If you keep the stock airbox and filter intact then changing the mufflers won't have drastic effect on the carb jetting, assuming said mufflers aren't some of those annoying straight through jobbies. Get some mufflers with baffles inside. Both your bike and neighbors will thank you.

Oh, and find a way to hold up the mufflers near the ends too as mentioned earlier. The systems needs to be anchored to the frame in some way.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Exhaust 23 Aug 2016 19:41 #739697

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107
My vote is for Supertrapp mufflers - they (SuperTrapp) were bought out by Kerker years ago and then they practically stopped producing Japanese street motorcycle exhausts, which was a big loss for us, trust me. My original Supertrapp "Superlite" stainless steel systems are the best exhausts I've owned for bikes.
Not all is lost, though. If you look through the latest Supertrapp catalog today; stainless steel adjustable disc baffle silencers are still available from their bike and automotive listings.
Just match up the style of silencer you want (short, long, megaphone, stubby, etc.) with the diameter of the outlet pipes from your header collectors. Of course you will have to fabricate your own clamps and mounts, and might need to do some cutting and welding, etc. to make it all work, but I think you will need to do that no matter whose silencers you use.
The real advantage to these silencers (besides being stainless steel and great quality parts) is the disc adjustable / tuning system that lets you adjust the silencers to match your carbs, and not the other way round. Add discs for more flow and top end power (and noise) or reduce the number of discs for less noise, better fuel economy and low end torque. And don't forget to use plenty of never seize on the threads of the stainless steel screws, nuts, and bolts or the threads will seize and the fasteners will break off....
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Exhaust 24 Aug 2016 09:11 #739753

• Simbolick
  • User
Nessism you from Scotland random I know? Also thanks guys you have made this mind scratcher a wee bit easier.

• Page: