Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cleaning 29 Jul 2016 10:06 #736605

• StevenDCES
  • StevenDCES's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Getting new head put on my kz650, cleaned it as best I can on a college budget. Wonder if any, if there is a additive or such that I can add to the fuel thank and just run the engine to help clean it more. this bike hasn't run since I bought it and I've been working on it as best I can being a broke college student. I plan on changing oil and letting run and change it again after a couple of weeks so I want to see whats out there to clean my engine and then dump when I change the oil again.
Noobie to bikes so bear with me
1981 KZ650 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cleaning 29 Jul 2016 10:22 #736608

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Once I put it together, I pour diesel through the engine to flush it, fill it with oil then change it after 500 miles.
Steve

Cleaning 29 Jul 2016 10:50 #736610

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107
Additives in the fuel tank - other than fuel stabilizers (like "Sta-Bil"), not really what I like to do in general, but there is a product called "Sea Foam" available that is supposed to work well cleaning the fuel system and combustion chambers. Just follow the directions carefully, and only use it once every 10 full tanks of fuel....and buy the best quality non - ethanol premium fuel you can get, at least for the first 1000 miles. I only use non - ethanol premium fuel in all of my own bikes and the bikes I work on, plus all my yard tools and my pick up trucks that only get occasional use. In fact, the only engine I own that gets regular fuel is my daily driver Toyota Corolla...

Flushing the engine (oil) - exactly as Steve says - diesel fuel is pretty safe to use for this, and relatively cheap. Just don't try starting the engine with it in there!. Then change the oil every 500 miles for the next 1000 miles (twice) - good, cheap-ish insurance for your engine...
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Cleaning 29 Jul 2016 10:51 #736611

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
If you're replacing the head, that, and the piston crowns are the only place you'll get any kind of build up in the combustion chamber. You can clean the piston tops while you have the head off.
I personally wouldn't use any kind of flushing agent in the crank case. You're really just thinning the oil with solvents. It's like running a very low viscosity oil. If you've got marginal bearings or seals, you'll find out the hard way. Plus, if there is any stuck crude, the flush may break it loose and circulate it thru your engine. I've never worked on a KZ650, but you should be able to remove the exhaust and drop the oil pan with the engine still in the frame. That where any sludge or loose parts will accumulate. A new oil pan gasket is about the same price as any of these engine flush additives. It's a 2 hour job and only requires basic tools. That the route I'd take if you want to clean your engine's bottom end.

Cleaning 29 Jul 2016 11:09 #736614

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

MDZ1rider wrote: If you're replacing the head, that, and the piston crowns are the only place you'll get any kind of build up in the combustion chamber. You can clean the piston tops while you have the head off.
I personally wouldn't use any kind of flushing agent in the crank case. You're really just thinning the oil with solvents. It's like running a very low viscosity oil. If you've got marginal bearings or seals, you'll find out the hard way. Plus, if there is any stuck crude, the flush may break it loose and circulate it thru your engine. I've never worked on a KZ650, but you should be able to remove the exhaust and drop the oil pan with the engine still in the frame. That where any sludge or loose parts will accumulate. A new oil pan gasket is about the same price as any of these engine flush additives. It's a 2 hour job and only requires basic tools. That the route I'd take if you want to clean your engine's bottom end.

Yes, absolutely! Never use an engine with flushing fluid in place of motor oil, no matter what it says on the side of the can of engine flush you might buy!

The "oil pan" (sump cover) can be removed with the exhaust off and the engine in the frame on the KZ650's - you must first remove the oil filter bolt and cover before removing the pan...and yes, this is the best thing to do to clean out the engine without taking it apart completely, as the sump is where the second worst amount of solid oil contaminants settle, after the oil filter housing, of course. Next worst place is the clutch housing, which can also be cleaned out easily with the engine in the frame, also for the cost of a new gasket and some cleaning solvent, shop towels (rags), a gasket removal spray and scrapers (avoid gouging the gasket mating surfaces while cleaning the old gasket off),

Happy wrenching!
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Cleaning 30 Jul 2016 16:06 #736745

• StevenDCES
  • StevenDCES's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks everyone, I have cleaned the new head and chambers as best I can I'll try to clean them a little better and will get everything I need to clean the pan
Noobie to bikes so bear with me
1981 KZ650 CSR

• Page: