Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 Ltd kz550 28 May 2016 22:22 #729047

• Brick123c
  • Brick123c's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What's up guys I just bought my 550 about a week ago never pulled apart an engine so I'm wondering if you guys can help me find out if I need to or not. Here's my problem when the bike at idol in neutral (not sure what idol is supposed to be I just keep it at 1000rpm) whether engine is cold or hot if I open the throttle the engine will die I don't know if it's getting too much air or gas or if that's even the problem. Also when in neutral if I open the throttle slowly the rpm's will go up smoothly until about 5 then it will stay there a while until a quick jump to about 7 or 8. Today while riding i stopped at a stoplight and when I tried to take off it kept bogging. It would idol but as soon as I give it gas it would bog. If anyone has any ideas on some troubleshooting or what my problem is I'm interested!
1982 Kz550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 05:20 #729058

• jdvorchak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
Hello. First of all are there any mods to the intake or exhaust? Like pod filters? Had the bike been sitting a long time before you bought it? Did it ever run right and this is something new?

Since it doesn't idle now, I'm guessing because you said you have to hold it at 1000 RPM (which is correct idle speed.of 900 to 1100). So the carbs will need some attention. By attention I mean they have to come out and be completed cleaned especially the enrichener (choke) circuit and the idle jet and idle circuits in the carbs. Float levels set per factory spec. No vacuum leaks in air box boots or carb to engine boots (insulators).

Since you've never "pulled an engine apart" is there someone near who has experience rebuilding CV type carbs?
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

Last edit: by jdvorchak.

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 06:54 #729071

• Brick123c
  • User
The guy who had the bike before me said he would ride with the choke on :/ the filters are custom they have one small k&n filter to each carb and no I have not seen the bike in peak condition could of been like this for a while. It never bogged out on me while I was riding before though. It was sitting probably 4 or 5 months and when I changed the oil it was black. I also sea foamed the fuel. Could I of messed something up with the sea foam? I would prefer to work on this bike myself though pretty determined to get it going good.
1982 Kz550

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 07:09 #729072

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Do the thumb test on the carbs.
Steve

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 07:23 #729073

• jdvorchak
  • User
Ok thanks for the history. Sorry to say that without the stock air box and OEM filter you are fighting an up hill battle. Those CV (constant Velocity ) carbs run best with the stock air filter setup. Second problem that is inherent to those carbs is that they run lean even with the stock air intake.

That being said you are going to have to pull the carbs and completely clean the idle (pilot) and main jets and passageways. No the Seafoam didn't hurt anything but it also didn't do what you thought it would do and that is preserve your fuel. Now there is one short cut that you can try before you pull the carbs. Drain all of the old fuel out and replace with clean fresh premium fuel. Then add 1 oz of Techron injector cleaner per gallon of fuel you put in the tank. Ride it around as long as you can and let it sit overnight. That doesn't work a lot of times but every once in a while it does when carbs aren't that plugged up.

The fact that the "guy" said you had to run with the choke tells me he just scrapped the stock air box and never went through the process of jetting the carbs for the custom filters. Search for tuning CV carbs with pods and you'll quickly see that it is rarely successful but you can make the bike ride-able.
Others may chime in with their opinions, and you have to realize that I am not a fan of custom air filters on motorcycles with CV carbs. Actually the best advice I can give is search the internet for how to on cleaning those carbs. It is not easy and takes complete attention to detail to get them right. Also search for a stock air box and boots and OEM air filter. With stock air filter that 550 will keep up with 750's all day long. It will out handle them in the turns and once you get it running right, at about 5000 RPM it feels like someone added another cylinder. When I had an 83 it was the most fun bike I've owned and should probably have never sold it.

I admire you for wanting to do the work yourself. You will learn a lot. Don't be discouraged if you think you have the carbs clean, this ain't a dual line Holley, but still find it doesn't start or idle. Most of us have to pull and re-clean the carbs 3 or 4 or even 5 times before they are right. Also with the stock air box and boots the 550 is one of the hardest bikes I've owned to get the boots back on the carbs for re-install. But if you decide to do the work yourself, when you finally get the carbs right you'll be an expert.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick123c

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 07:29 #729074

• jdvorchak
  • User
One other thought. When you start the carb rebuild use the "carburetor" forum instead of the engine forum, for posting questions. And ask plenty of questions! We've all started carb rebuilding with the first set just where you are now.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 16:19 #729130

• Brick123c
  • User
Thanks a lot man I'm gonna do some research on the carbs.
1982 Kz550

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 18:15 #729154

• jdvorchak
  • User
Oh and most important than anything else. Get some JIS screwdrivers. All of the screws on these metric bikes look like Phillips head screws. They are NOT. They are JIS which is Japan Industrial Standard. If you use a Phillips head driver you will screw up the heads. I use these from Harbor Freight and love them.

www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-screwdriver-set-90764.html

Usually can find them on sale for less but come on.... $9 for a really nice set of screwdrivers?
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

Last edit: by jdvorchak.

82 Ltd kz550 29 May 2016 18:31 #729160

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
From the diagrams at partzilla the 82 550-C3 Ltd should have TK22 mechanical slide carburetors, so tuning them shouldn't be as difficult as with CV carbs. KZRider loudhvx has a bunch of 550 info on his motorcycle stuff page, especially for the TK carbs --- see the links in his signature. links. click!

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: