Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 13:01 #724303

• cafebrat
  • cafebrat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey guys, I rebuilt my motor this winter and I'm breaking it in which means plenty of oil and filter changes. Im getting so sick an tired of having to remove my exhaust to remove the filter every time, costing me both time, headaches and depleting my crush gasket stash lol. Are there any aftermarket exhaust for a kz1100 ltd that route the headers in a way that doesn't require their removal to get the filter out???
83 Kawasaki Kz1100 LTD
81 Honda cm400
72 Suzuki T500 Titan** 2-stroke B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 13:05 #724306

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
My V/H doesn't require that.
Steve

Attachments:

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 13:09 #724307

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Get a 750 twin. Then you only have to remove the shift lever, the left front foot peg and the clutch cable cover to get at the oil filter ;)
Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Last edit: by Bowman.

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 13:23 #724311

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
The Vance & Hines street header permits oil changes and use of the center-stand.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 14:42 #724335

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Delkevic might make something for the 1100 Ltd. Z1Enterprises.com lists several for the Big Kaws. I would think that some of them would be interchangeable, depending upon the year & model, but maybe they aren't. ???

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 15:54 #724350

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107
If you want cheap and durable, get a ceramic coated MAC. If you want cheap and good, get a V&H street - I've heard good things about them. Too bad they only come in bright chrome. If you want a 10 000 piece jigsaw puzzle, try the Delkevic. They even throw in a hat and T-shirt in the box. The Marving pipes from Europe (I believe the Netherlands) might be worth looking into. They look great and from reviews I've seen, sound awesome. More money, though, and you will have to check about filter and drain access.

The MAC allows filter access for sure - I have two of those for the big KZ's and one for my CBX's. The problem with the MAC is the silencer. It is very restrictive / small volume / reverse flow and will cost you top - end power. These silencers are too restrictive even for a 650, and are heavy and not that quiet, either. Mine added at least half a second to my stock GPz1100's 1/4 mile ET. The back pressure would gradually push the silencer off the collector on the GPz at the track no matter how tight I torqued the clamp. Even with the 6-2 (two silencers of exactly the same design) on the MAC for my then stock 1047 cc CBX, the bike wasn't able to exhale at high rpm, The MAC headers are good enough, though. I would use a shorty generic 3 or 4" stainless Supertrapp silencer on the MAC header, which is what I'm going to try next.

I also have a new Delkevic, I just got it and haven't tried it out yet, so I can't say for sure if you can get to the filter and drain plug with it. It comes in many sections and is held together / on with the classic spring and hook system found on most road race replica systems. The head pipes look like a copy of the MAC design, but are not welded together. I have looked at the silencer and it seems much better than the MAC design.

The Kerker is supposedly the best for performance; I bought one of those, too. It is also still in it's shipping box. I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow filter access, however.
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 16:23 #724361

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104

Kray-Z wrote: If you want cheap and durable, get a ceramic coated MAC. If you want cheap and good, get a V&H street - I've heard good things about them. Too bad they only come in bright chrome. If you want a 10 000 piece jigsaw puzzle, try the Delkevic. They even throw in a hat and T-shirt in the box. The Marving pipes from Europe (I believe the Netherlands) might be worth looking into. They look great and from reviews I've seen, sound awesome. More money, though, and you will have to check about filter and drain access.

The MAC allows filter access for sure - I have two of those for the big KZ's and one for my CBX's. The problem with the MAC is the silencer. It is very restrictive / small volume / reverse flow and will cost you top - end power. These silencers are too restrictive even for a 650, and are heavy and not that quiet, either. Mine added at least half a second to my stock GPz1100's 1/4 mile ET. The back pressure would gradually push the silencer off the collector on the GPz at the track no matter how tight I torqued the clamp. Even with the 6-2 (two silencers of exactly the same design) on the MAC for my then stock 1047 cc CBX, the bike wasn't able to exhale at high rpm, The MAC headers are good enough, though. I would use a shorty generic 3 or 4" stainless Supertrapp silencer on the MAC header, which is what I'm going to try next.

I also have a new Delkevic, I just got it and haven't tried it out yet, so I can't say for sure if you can get to the filter and drain plug with it. It comes in many sections and is held together / on with the classic spring and hook system found on most road race replica systems. The head pipes look like a copy of the MAC design, but are not welded together. I have looked at the silencer and it seems much better than the MAC design.

The Kerker is supposedly the best for performance; I bought one of those, too. It is also still in it's shipping box. I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow filter access, however.

Forget the Marving if you want access to the filter and you can "just" get to the drian plug -( Z1R) but I have to say that I don't mind removing the pipe every second service, at least I can clean it properly and it only takes about 15 minutes to remove. The exhaust gaskets usually last at least two removals if not over tightened. This pipe is the best I have tried and that includes Tingate ( racing only), Yoshi (very loud, good but annoying), Peter Allen (second best), Delkevic (agree with the jigsaw bit), Marshall? (great sound but still no filter access) and others, I have not tried V&H or Kerker because from what I have read they can be very loud (I'm getting old)

Good summery Kray-Z
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Last edit: by Bozo.

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 16:23 #724362

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

Kray-Z wrote: If you want cheap and durable, get a ceramic coated MAC. If you want cheap and good, get a V&H street - I've heard good things about them. Too bad they only come in bright chrome. If you want a 10 000 piece jigsaw puzzle, try the Delkevic. They even throw in a hat and T-shirt in the box. The Marving pipes from Europe (I believe the Netherlands) might be worth looking into. They look great and from reviews I've seen, sound awesome. More money, though, and you will have to check about filter and drain access.

I could swear that I read on here recently that there were two different Kerker designs, street and race and that the street version does in fact allow filter access. Wish I could find the thread.... :dry:

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

exhaust that allow filter change without removal? 03 May 2016 16:41 #724370

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107
On my new Kerker, the header pipes are going to run straight under the center of the oil pan - definitely no filter access. I can't recall seeing the old style Kerker System K2S on a Kawasaki four that allowed oil change access or retention of the center stand...ever. Easy though - check Kerker's website...
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• Page: