• Page:

TOPIC:

BAD BAD BAD....... 28 Aug 2015 17:18 #687532

• toyotakzrider
  • toyotakzrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello again everyone,

I have an 82' csr 750 twin. I ride it every day, and love it. I've been working on it slowly getting it fixed up to my liking for the past 2 1/2 years. It's a great bike for the around town riding that I do every day.

Anyway, I was coming home from work today. Bike has been running great, no issues whatsoever. No noises, nothing. I was sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green and the bike shut off. I was like hmm...that's odd. So I hit the starter button and the starter sounds like the battery is weak. (I've had previous charging/wiring issues in charging system) I though ok, no big deal I'll check the wires and see what's going on. The wires all checked out as being connected and not broken in the areas I've had problems with. So, I go to kick start it. and first kick sounded like it wanted to start but was a little difficult to kick. I went to kick it again, and the engine was completely frozen. will not turn over at all.

Now, I am an engine builder for gas marine engines, I do know that engines don't just "break" without some kind of warning. In this case there was no warning whatsoever. No noises, knocking, nothing.

So my conclusion is that it has to be something other than the crank and pistons causing the problem. I have been having random problems with the mechanical parts of the starter system. I thought that I finally had them resolved. But if something failed in there, would that cause the engine to be dead locked?

What is everyone's thoughts on this. Should I be looking for a new engine? I dont see very many parts around for these engines anymore. So I am not too sure if rebuilding it is an option. Although I do have the ability and facility to rebuild it if the parts are available somewhere to do so.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not willing to give up on her yet. I have too much blood sweat and money into her now to let her die.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BAD BAD BAD....... 28 Aug 2015 17:42 #687536

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Check for battery voltage at the ignition coil, all the glass tubed fuses(vibration breaks the fuse element).and compression.
If fuel is getting to the engine via the carbs, maybe it's an electrical problem.

Another thought, the factory soldering jobs left a lot to be desired, so over the years, the joints will fail, or go bad from vibration. Open up the left and right handlebar "switch pods" looking for cold or broken solder joints. If you need a soldering repair procedure, just ask as I've got one.

The sparkplug caps have a non replaceable 5000 ohm resistor, to suppress the RFI when the plugs fire, these have been known to quit working, fro vibraton, heat,and age.if you replace the caps,cut about 3/16" to 1/4" off the end, for a fresh electrical connection.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

BAD BAD BAD....... 28 Aug 2015 17:58 #687537

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Check the plugs and smell the oil.
Steve

BAD BAD BAD....... 28 Aug 2015 19:29 #687551

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
It's a long shot, but check the generator. There have been instances on some KZ's where something comes loose inside that cover and jams preventing the crankshaft from rotating. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

BAD BAD BAD....... 29 Aug 2015 00:56 #687567

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
Are these two seperate problems? I dont see an electrical problem seizing the engine. I would try and get the engine turning over by hand/foot first to make sure that its not seized . If you had problems with the starter already,I would pull it out and try and turn the engine over.(Plugs out ).
If not, as 650ed suggested,check the genny hasnt disintegrated and locked up the crank.
Another thing that ive heard about ,but dont understand, is some engines suffering from a vacuum lock. Like I say, I dont understand it, maybe someone else here can shed light that.
Good luck.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

BAD BAD BAD....... 29 Aug 2015 05:38 #687578

• toyotakzrider
  • User
the charging problem I have resolved.....it was just something I suspected at first. The engine is currently hard locked. I will pull the generator cover off today and see if something is amiss in there. I just do not see the engine failing all of a sudden with no warning. It was running too good to have an instant catastrophic failure, that just doesn't make sense and barely ever happens with engines in general. Especially sitting at a red light idling. I doubt highly that it's locked due to vacuum locked. I mean I'm 220lbs and I jumped on the kick starter and the engine would not turn over, no vacuum that strong. lol.

I will let everyone know. it does look like engines are pretty scarce for these bikes, and from what everyone says, a 4 cylinder most likely will not fit. If it would, I could get mounts welded and such without trouble. but I can't get a set answer on weather or not the fork tubes would be an issue.

BAD BAD BAD....... 29 Aug 2015 07:24 #687585

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
My rotor was so bad it welded itself to the feild coils. I had a hell of a time removing the cover without breaking it. Took the rotor off and WOW, it pulled stronger! No wonder they have plates to cover the area when you remove all that stuff. :woohoo:
Steve

BAD BAD BAD....... 29 Aug 2015 08:40 #687601

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
  • Thank you received: 75
Check the starter clutch mounting bolts on the back side of the fly wheel. If they come loose they can cause the lockup you have.

To remove the fly wheel, the 22mm threads on the rear axle fit the fly wheel threads. These are right hand threads.

The flywheel retainer bolt is left hand thread. When re-installing, thread locking compound is recommended.

Bike should be on center stand before removing the stator side cover as this area is open to the crank case and will leak out oil if on the side stand.
Good luck,
Jim
80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rainman.

BAD BAD BAD....... 29 Aug 2015 12:39 #687645

• toyotakzrider
  • User
That was exactly the problem. I've had an ongoing issue with those damn bolts backing out. very very aggrivating.... Last time they backed out a little bit and then sheered off. So I replaced them and put blue locktite on them. Well aparently that didn't work either. As they were all loose again this time, one had backed out and locked up the motor. I'm glad I wasn't at speed when it happened. Anyway, took it apart. AGAIN bought new bolts as the heads were all messed up from making contact with everything else. and put them back together AGAIN, this time, with RED locktite. It better hold this time, I'm tired of tearing it apart every month to fix it again.

thanks for all everyones help once again.

BAD BAD BAD....... 29 Aug 2015 13:03 #687649

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I use a hand impact driver with a Allen socket on it.
Steve

• Page: