• Page:

TOPIC:

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 25 May 2015 15:36 #673693

• NotStock
  • NotStock's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey folks!

I've got a problem. I spun a rotor. Its galled good inside. The crank is actually ok though. Seems like the crank was much harder than the rotor. I believe with a little bit of lapping that the crank taper will be fine.

I have a spare engine with a keyed rotor. Can I used this rotor? will it work? its a '77 kz1000 engine. My rider is a '78 kz1000. I'd swap the whole crank, but the runner '78 has a falicon super crank so I really want to make it work.

Thoughts? Do i need to keep searching for a keyless rotor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by NotStock.

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 25 May 2015 16:45 #673702

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
No you can't the taper is different.

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 26 May 2015 01:37 #673778

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1456
If both rotors are the same early type that run inside the alt windings then YES you can use the keyed rotor and the tapers ARE the same on those.
The later MK2 engine with larger taper also runs a different style dished rotor too so there's no way you could mix up the two.
The larger taper is actually the same angle as the earlier crank but it is on a larger diameter.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 26 May 2015 04:49 #673781

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104

zed1015 wrote: If both rotors are the same early type that run inside the alt windings then YES you can use the keyed rotor and the tapers ARE the same on those.
The later MK2 engine with larger taper also runs a different style dished rotor too so there's no way you could mix up the two.
The larger taper is actually the same angle as the earlier crank but it is on a larger diameter.

Agree, I've been running an earlier Z keyed rotor on my Z1R for a while now, the original was starting to come apart from the steel boss. keep away from the 1000J model onwards, not only are the rotors different but so is the starter system
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 26 May 2015 06:49 #673805

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
I thought so. The late rotor won't work on a Z1/KZ 900 because of the larger bolt required?
Steve

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 26 May 2015 08:57 #673829

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1456

swest wrote: I thought so. The late rotor won't work on a Z1/KZ 900 because of the larger bolt required?
Steve

Yes! bigger 10mm bolt compensates for lack of woodruff key on the later rotors.
Keyed crank with 8mm bolts needs the keyed rotor otherwise it will spin and chew the taper.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: MLMG

Re:Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 26 May 2015 12:45 #673865

• NotStock
  • User
Awesome, so I'm ok to run early keyed rotor on later keyless crank provided I use correct torque for the larger 10mm bolt.

Just wanted to clarify to ensure we are all on the same page!

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 04 Jun 2015 17:19 #675272

• NotStock
  • User
Alright, follow up. I used the keyed rotor on my keyless crank. I applied loctite 680 retaining compound to the taper before assembly. I used red loctite on the rotor bolt and sent it on home with my Milwaukee m12 impact. I'm guessing I got around 50-60 ft lbs.

I let it all settle and set up for 24 hours and I'm happy to report that the taper is holding nicely. I would recommend the 680 retaining compound to anyone with a spun taper. It can fill 15 thousandths gaps and is meant for exactly this application. Alternatively, if you've got worse gaps, 660 will provide a little less strength, but is designed for 20 thousandths gaps. Both are from the retaining compound line and are meant to fix sloppy press fits and failed keyways.

Last edit: by NotStock.

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 04 Jun 2015 20:42 #675302

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I worked on a Aprilla 650 and it called for Lock Tight blue. OK, so I used some on my Z1 rotor. It was coming apart like they do, I had to heat up the rotor with a torch to get the DAMN thing off. If the fit is good, I'll stick to just tightening it up.
Steve

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 01 Jul 2015 14:11 #678981

• NotStock
  • User
I agree that a good fit is probably sufficient; however, I'd already spun the crank. I am 110% certain that I'll need to use a torch when the time comes to remove this rotor. I would ONLY suggest this to someone who has an already damaged taper.

With that said, I never intend to remove this rotor. Ever.

Keyed rotor on keyless crank? 01 Jul 2015 17:14 #679007

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Never say never. These rotors are notorious for coming apart. Instead of one pin keeping the clutch from shifting, it has holes for three just not in the clutch. That's the problem. Back in I guess 77, I had one get sloppy, kept riding it until rrrrump. It froze up. :ohmy: I had a hell of a time getting that cover off. I used my flat bar and wood chisels to eep it off, one side and the other. Finally I got it off. I took out the rotor and had kick start only and had to charge the battery every day when I got home from work. $350 later I had a new one. That was a lot of money for me back then. My rent was $155 including utilities! :angry:
Steve

• Page: