Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 26 Apr 2015 09:00 #669614

• Waynecarpenter
  • Waynecarpenter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the dyna s ignition system on my 1982 kz750e. The current plugs are starting to go bad. I'm not sure if the plug wires I currently have are regular or performance bc they were installed prior to my ownership. What plug wires do I need in order to work with my ignition system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 26 Apr 2015 14:03 #669651

• runmikeyrun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I can't imagine you need special wire for spark plugs. I've never used anything specific. I used Accel 8.8 wire, cut to length and the screw on NGK hard boots in the past. The boots have rubber seals. As long as you screw the boots on securely you won't have problems.

When I replaced my coils last year they came with the wires molded into the coil (emgo). I liked this design better because the reason the old coils ended up needing replacement because the wire terminals became corroded beyond repair. I still had to cut them to length, and the wire wasn't as beefy but they work fine.

I also use wire separators to keep the wires off of each other and hot engine parts, not to mention dress them nicer.
Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

Last edit: by runmikeyrun.

Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 26 Apr 2015 15:50 #669661

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Dyna makes a solid copper core wire that I like, I have the Dyna S also with the green coils ....... Z1 or ebay should be able to set you up.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Re:Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 26 Apr 2015 16:00 #669664

• Waynecarpenter
  • User

runmikeyrun wrote: I can't imagine you need special wire for spark plugs. I've never used anything specific. I used Accel 8.8 wire, cut to length and the screw on NGK hard boots in the past. The boots have rubber seals. As long as you screw the boots on securely you won't have problems.

When I replaced my coils last year they came with the wires molded into the coil (emgo). I liked this design better because the reason the old coils ended up needing replacement because the wire terminals became corroded beyond repair. I still had to cut them to length, and the wire wasn't as beefy but they work fine.

I also use wire separators to keep the wires off of each other and hot engine parts, not to mention dress them nicer.

KZB2 650 wrote: Dyna makes a solid copper core wire that I like, I have the Dyna S also with the green coils ....... Z1 or ebay should be able to set you up.

Are you guys saying I need to make my own? Please clarify. Does anyone have a link to a set I can buy?

Re:Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 26 Apr 2015 19:26 #669699

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Re:Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 27 Apr 2015 09:22 #669749

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Z1 Enterprise sells stock equivalent copper core wire for cheap. P/N MA8337-1 Ignition Wire 7mm (black)

I used this stuff while rehabbing my 750 coils. Was even able to remove the stock outer wire cover and install it over these new inner wires for that stock look.

Some others around here mentioned a while back that the Kawasaki coils are lower resistance than that speced for the Dyna S. Stock is 1.8-2.8 ohms, Dyna S spec is 3-5 ohms, or something to this effect. You may want to research this more and possibly add a ballast resistor in line to increase resistance if you decide to use your old coils.

Re:Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 27 Apr 2015 10:55 #669764

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
A Tip from the north.
If you pack the rubber boots that go over the ends of the cables (Twixt cable and spark plug cap) with silicone grease,It works well to keep the rain out.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Last edit: by davido.

Re:Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 29 Apr 2015 17:33 #670030

• Waynecarpenter
  • User

davido wrote: A Tip from the north.
If you pack the rubber boots that go over the ends of the cables (Twixt cable and spark plug cap) with silicone grease,It works well to keep the rain out.

good to know. thanks. thanks for the help. I'm going try out a set of the z1 cables.

Re:Where do I get some performance spark plug wires? 82 kz750 29 Apr 2015 18:31 #670043

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

• Page: