Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 18 Apr 2015 17:24 #668582

• Carr_113
  • Carr_113's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
What exactly does this mean? I've only seen brief references to this being done, but have no idea what is involved. Has anyone on here ever had it done? If so, what is the going rate, and does it make a noticeable difference in engine performance? Thanks in advance for any input!
'74 Z1-A
'80 KZ750E
'80 GS750E
'81 KZ440
'79 XS650 (needs love)
'72-'73 CB350 (3 or 4, in pieces)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Carr_113.

Re:Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed Heads?" 18 Apr 2015 17:56 #668585

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
  • Thank you received: 5
I was typing my reply out and then realized someone on yahoo questions said it better...

When an engine is built, the manufacture specifies a "tolerance," or range, for the dimensions of its parts. Blueprinting means carefully measuring all these parts, and then if necessary machining them to make sure they're the best size or weight for performance.

For instance, a valve stem and a valve guide will be specified by the manufacturer with tolerances that allow for a clearance between them. If the clearance is too small, the valves may bind or stick, which can cause engine damage in some cases but will at the very least lead to a loss of performance due to the friction. If the clearance is too large, too much oil will flow down the valves into the cylinder and the spark plugs will foul. So "blueprinting" the valves and guides would involve carefully machining the valve guides to the BEST clearance, not just to whatever clearance happened to be there by picking a valve and a guide that were both "within tolerance."

Blueprinting is often used in conjunction with "balancing" an engine. The idea is very similar: balancing makes sure that all parts of the same kind have the same weight, down to very small tolerances. For example, a set of connecting rods may vary in weight; a balanced engine will measure the lightest connecting rod, then machine off tiny amounts of metal to make all the other rods in the engine have the same weight, down to a tenth of a gram. A balanced engine runs more smoothly, especially at high RPMs where an unbalance would be likely to cause extra wear on the internal components.

Scott F.

2010 Camaro 2SS
1983 Kawi KZ1000P ... bag of bolts
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheForumTroll

Last edit: by Mean Green Z28.

Re:Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed Heads?" 22 Apr 2015 06:17 #669112

• Carr_113
  • User
Thanks, Mean Green. I had read that, but was wondering if there was any more to it. I assume, then, that blue printing a head would involve balancing the valves (anything else?). I'm curious about this because I need to get my head rebuilt, and while shopping around, I was given a quote of $800 + parts for valve job, blue printing, port, and flow. I asked what was involved with blue printing, but never received a response. It seems as though balancing the connecting rods would make a significantly greater difference in performance, compared to balancing valves (at least, to me).

Let me know if I'm off course here; again, I'm just trying to make sense of this and weigh my options. For what it's worth, my Z1's engine is stock, with no other modifications; I don't race it, and usually take it easy while riding, which is why I'm trying to determine if shelling out that chunk of change is worth it. Thanks again for any input.
'74 Z1-A
'80 KZ750E
'80 GS750E
'81 KZ440
'79 XS650 (needs love)

Re:Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed Heads?" 22 Apr 2015 07:08 #669116

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
For what you are using it for a three angle valve grind and possibly valves, guides and seals will do the job. A good mid range cam will up the performance too. There are lots of people that will gladly take your money for something that you don't need or doesn't exist.
A truly balanced motor can last longer and deliver more power but I doubt it's worth the extra money.
Steve

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 07:13 #669117

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Unless absolute maximum performance is your goal, don't do it. Based on your riding style, I would say you'd be wasting your money and may in fact regret it. Porting (and the associated increased flow) can make significant changes to the engine's power output. However, maximum power is not always a good thing. Porting for a drag racing application may make it scream at the very upper end of the RPM's, but decrease power below 5,000 RPM's. Great for the drag strip, but a major pain to ride on the street. You want useable power for the type riding you do. Just get a stock rebuild with good valve seat and stem seal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 07:16 #669118

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
Anything blueprinted is just built to the original factory design specs (the blueprint) and will be pretty much to the standard as it should have come out of the factory.
A simple valve job and new guides will be plenty good enough.
As for balancing valves there is no such thing unless you mean balancing the carbs ?
You could weight match the valves but there would be no advantage as opposed to weight matching the pistons or balancing the crank for slightly smoother running.
In a std motor the whole process would mostly be a waste of time and money.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 07:23 #669119

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I would also add replacing the valve springs. They can test good but have issues while running. :) / :evil: Well worth the $65 for peace of mind.
Steve

[attachment=83623]bossievalvs-2.jpg[/attachment
Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 07:57 #669124

• Carr_113
  • User
Thanks for your input, everyone. You've affirmed some of my own apprehensions. The guy who gave me the quote is a friend of my brother's, who runs a performance shop on Long Island. I trust him, and his work is excellent, so I think ultimately he may just be prone to suggesting such an extreme amount of work.

As suggested, I think I'll stick to the grind, valves, guides, seals, and springs. Besides, I've never really been a fan of doing things that can't be undone.

Zed1015 - your definition of blueprinting was the one that was familiar to me before I got into this. It didn't make sense to me how "blueprinting" according to that explanation could possibly warrant an extra $400-$500 beyond the typical valve job.
'74 Z1-A
'80 KZ750E
'80 GS750E
'81 KZ440
'79 XS650 (needs love)

Last edit: by Carr_113.

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 08:00 #669125

• neighbourdave
  • User

swest wrote: I would also add replacing the valve springs. They can test good but have issues while running. :) / :evil: Well worth the $65 for peace of mind.
Steve

Where is a popular place / brand to get new springs?
1998 Concours
1978 Z1-R
1975 H2C
1974 H1E
1973 S2A

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 08:00 #669126

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Bragging rights. :sick:
Steve

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 08:06 #669127

• Carr_113
  • User
You're such a tease, Steve.
'74 Z1-A
'80 KZ750E
'80 GS750E
'81 KZ440
'79 XS650 (needs love)

Can Someone Please Explain "Blue Printed" Heads? 22 Apr 2015 08:18 #669129

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265

neighbourdave wrote:

swest wrote: I would also add replacing the valve springs. They can test good but have issues while running. :) / :evil: Well worth the $65 for peace of mind.
Steve

APE directly from them or Z1

Where is a popular place / brand to get new springs?

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.