Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1100 3-cylinders firing 05 May 2015 19:17 #670816

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Can test by removing petcock vac line from carb, plug/cap the carb vac nipple, and test run with petcock set in PRIme position.

This will eliminate any fuel leakage through the vac line from carb to petcock.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton.

KZ1100 3-cylinders firing 05 May 2015 19:43 #670821

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Yeah and you can ride it too. :woohoo:
Steve

KZ1100 3-cylinders firing 19 May 2015 19:19 #672792

• LineArtist
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
I replaced the diaphragm on my petcock last year after having this same problem. Let me put something out on the table since I am having the same issue once again - and just realized I should check the vacuum hose for fuel.

Would storing the bike over the winter months with a full tank of gas and Sta-bil have something to do with deterioration of the diaphragm? The problem seem to have returned after going through that first tank of fuel containing Sta-bil, and I can smell a faint fuel scent.

Just wondering...
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

Last edit: by LineArtist.

KZ1100 3-cylinders firing 20 May 2015 10:44 #672885

• jbuck
  • jbuck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'll conclude this thread by saying that the problem is solved and it was indeed the petcock. Replaced with a new OEM petcock (purchased from Z1) and a new plug. I opted not to rebuild the petcock because it was leaking from the side -- actually blowing fuel bubbles -- and from what I understand, rebuilds are not always successful. New petcock cost about $75. Rebuild kit was $50. Started right up on 4 cylinders.

Bike runs better than ever partially due to a better seal from the new carb intake boots. Not only do they seat better, but I didn't even realize the airbox could be moved forward -- the last owner had it in a mid/back position and the boots were barely hanging on.

I was about to go for a lengthy ride and noticed the sidewall of my front tire is badly cracked. It's not even that old. Just dropped the fron wheel off for a tire change. Can't win this year, I guess. :)
'83 KZ1100 LTD

• Page: