Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 05:06 #659450

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I'm thinking about painting an assembled engine with Gun Kote. The problem is gun kote needs to be baked at 350 degrees for one hour. How bad would it be to subject an engine to this? Im wondering about the seals and stuff, as this is way over the operating temp. I can use some other paint, but IMO Gun Kote is the best engine paint, so id like to use that if i could.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 05:33 #659452

• NakedFun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
I will throw in my .02.....

The engine components would be fine I think, but the seals and gaskets will be damaged IMHO. Powdercoat is usually only 50 F higher baking temp, and you have to pull all seals, plastics, and gaskets prior to that, so.... If you are going to do Gun Kote, I would disassemble the engine down to the parts you are coating.

I would also contact Gun Kote to see if they have an alternative baking schedule. i.e lower temp for longer time....

FWIW,
Cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 05:47 #659453

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
You don't need 350F. 275F is enough, you just need to extend the cure time. The engine will get this hot while riding on a hot summer day so the paint will auto-cure by itself while riding. I think you just need enough cure to improve the surface handling toughness because the coating scratches/chips/smudges easily before cure. Once the engine is together the engine heat while riding will finish the job.

I recently used Gun Kote on my 750 wheels and brake calipers. You need to sandblast first according to the instructions, so that's what I did. I found the preheat unnecessary. The paint stuck just fine and didn't tend to run or anything. Only issue I faced is that the "satin" is too glossy. I'd get the flat if you want a satin or lower gloss finish.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 05:52 #659454

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I agree with the cooler 250-275 degree's ........ I did my valve cover, carb tops etc and was worried about warpage so I went less and stripper won't even touch it still ...... takes the paint off no problem up to it but doesn't do a thing once it get to the coat. ;)
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 09:15 #659468

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Just got some heat number about two weeks ago. Used a handheld laser thermometer.

I let bike idle at 1200 rpm for 10 to 15 mins with a goose of throttle now and then. It was a 50 degree day.

Cylinder Head: 306 deg f
Cylinder: 235 deg f
Header Down tube 4" from head: 575 deg f Kerker
Header Rear Collector: 200 deg f Kerker
Oil Cooler: 145 deg f

I would assume that on a 90+ day, the bike could get over 425 deg f. OLDMANROCK is a good source for this as he is in Arizona.

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 11:47 #659475

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
When I had to cook the header kote on my pipes, I used a heat gun. Worked very well.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Max heat for an engine? 23 Jan 2015 21:10 #659536

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I'm gonna soda blast the entire engine first, be cause the PO painted the engine without cleaning off the road grime. the paint is literally coming off in sheets. Depending on how it looks after that i will decide to paint or not. At the least I will probably do the cylinders in black. thanks for the responses guys.

• Page: