Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 01:25 #659334

• oldcelicaracer
  • oldcelicaracer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Pretty self explanatory ...it leaks and was wondering how hard it is to replace the seal on it...it is a 1979 750 twin
If ur gonna do something stupid be smart about it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by oldcelicaracer.

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 04:54 #659339

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
The hardest part is (sometimes) scraping off the old gasket.

If the bike is being maintained properly with valve adjustment checks every few thousand miles, the gasket shouldn't be stuck (too much). Unfortunately, some people are mechanically unsympathetic, and never adjust valves. In those cases the valve cover may have never come off before and the gasket stuck (and/or the valves and seats are burned).

Last edit: by Nessism.

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 05:12 #659340

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
If that model has a mechanical (cable-drive) tachometer, the leak may be from a failed seal where the cable goes into the valve cover. That little seal and gasket are usually easy to replace, otherwise, what Nessim said.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 05:58 #659345

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
A pic would help. How long have you had it?
Steve

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 05:59 #659346

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
A method for removing the valve cover to preserve the gasket. Remove all of the valve cover bolts except for the ones on the ends --- loosen those a few mms. Then tap the valve cover loose w a mallet & big screwdriver. After knocking it loose, loosen the end bolts a few more mms, then pry off the gasket from one of the surfaces (I used a good paint scraper). Then remove the cover & pry the gasket off the other surface.

This method might be useful in preserving a newish gasket, instead of replacing it every time the cover is off --- in that case you don't have to pry the gasket from both surfaces.

On the 81 650 there's plenty of room above the rubber cam end plugs to fit a big screwdriver into place to knock the cover loose without damaging it. Hold the screwdriver (or something blunt) firmly in place & give it a good whack. Use a mallet, not a sledge hammer. :)

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 06:31 #659351

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Unless some moron used Permatex or something similar, you shouldn't have to pry anything. Remove the bolts, tap around the cover top, sides until it becomes loose with a rubber mallet. You can use a small block of wood and a hammer to lightly hit it enough to jar it loose. You shouldn't have to pry on it with anything thus damaging the gasket or what's worse the mating surfaces. Like I said a pic would be helpful.
Don't assume anything.
Steve

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 12:34 #659400

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Not hard to replace, but if t's stuck in place: I use a blade of a pocket knife at the corners of the cover tapped in gently with a small mallet. If you have old rubber camshaft seals, they will leak. I run a thin bead of Ultra Black sealer along the area where the rubber seals are when I replace the cover.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

leaky valve cover 22 Jan 2015 12:36 #659401

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Edit to add:

The 750 twins do tend to leak oil at the tach drive. Aso, every one I have ever seen seeps oil at the front of the head gasket which blows back around the engine and leaves the famous black scum line. That may look like a valve cover leak too.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: